New Guy. 1965 Work Horse Engine Mount Question

Greetings. Just joined the website. My pony is 1965 2+2, 289 and was the first car in my stable 37 years ago. She is a daily driver (but pampered). I need replace the engine mounts (insulator assemblies) in a 1965 Mustang. To the best of my knowledge, these are the originals that were installed at the factory. Do I need to worry about the bolts breaking (attaching the insulators to the engine)? I have work on her over the years but had a recent bad experience with a couple of water pump bolts. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

In my experience, no. The mount to engine bolts do not typically break off in a SB Ford. I would use a good quality 6-point socket on the bolts and not an impact-at least until you are satisfied they have broken loose. They are snug in my experience. For an original '65 the mount to frame connection is a nut on the mount so you will be replacing that anyway ('66 up is a through-bolt so also easy to replace).

Water pump bolts in my experience often break the upper ones on the drivers side when the bolt corrodes in the front cover. I have seen more than a few over the years-pretty much every one I ever tried. You have to heat it and take off the front cover to fix it right.

Appreciate the advice and information. The experience with the water pump taught me the importance of heat and thread sealant. As for the motor mounts, am coating the nuts and bolts in a break-free solution and will follow you directions. It will save me the $$$ the shop wanted to charge for a seemingly straight-forward job. Besides, I like doing the work myself. Do you happen to know the torque specs for the bolts? Can't find it in the shop manual. Thanks again!