New Guy kinda owner

gregski

Mar 13, 2010
Sacramento, California
Hi all,

OK so I am getting into cars and since I can not afford a Mustang, I did the next best thing... I bought a 302 engine with an automatic transmission and it just so happened to be from a 1975 Mustang II (or so I think).

The goal is to try to get it to run outside the car. All that's missing is the starter solenoid, fan, radiator, alternator, and mufflers.

I hope to buy some basic gauges at Harbor Freight and get some readings.

I can do basic things on cars, but I want to learn what it takes to start an engine, do the timing, tune the carburator, etc... I don't really care for all the SMOG crap and hope to remove it.

Will turn to you guys/gals for help I'm sure,
Greg
Sacramento, CA

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a good learning experience!

Since the engine is from a MII, it would be easiest if you could find one in a junkyard and pull the parts you need from it. You should also get the Duraspark electronic ignition and the wiring harness to the engine.

Do you have it mounted in a stand? If not, you need something like this:
EnviroTech: Mighty Mount - The World's Best Engine Test Stand

One of our favorite MII suppliers has a store on eBay that might help: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/stumpys_fabrication_works/

He doesn't have any listed now, but he does make 302 engine stands as well. It wouldn't take much to modify them into a test stand.

For those that don't know, Stumpy makes custom MII traction bars and subframe connectors that work pretty well.

I know metal is nicer but not really a requirement.

A test stand can be made with a few 2x4s, scrap plywood and a glue and screw.

Of course you need a set of motor mounts for the mount bolt to go through the 2x4.

I have a '88 302 with AOD on one now. Maybe this year I'll get it running. :rlaugh:

thank you all for the advice, since I paid $100 bucks for the engine and transmission I can't afford over $1,000 on an engine stand, that would be just wrong, LOL, though it is a top of the line unit

I am going the wood route, I feel comfortable with wood, I wish I was that comfortable with metal, so stayed tunned and I will post some pics of the progress, in the meantime here are some pictures of the beast

by the way YouTube has some good examples of the poor man's test engine stand

Attachments

• Engine 1 Small.jpg
    Engine 1 Small.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Engine 2 Small.jpg
    Engine 2 Small.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 127