New Guy Looking For Direction

back67fast

Aug 2, 2017
This is my 3rd Mustang and i decided to go big and buy a 67 fastback. Didn't come with a motor or trans but its pretty complete and in great shape. Very minimal rust repairs left to do as the guy i got it from was in the process of restoring it but I already feel a bit overwhelmed. I got a bunch of literature and so far I've just spent the time wire wheeling the entire underbody, removing any surface rust to assess what I'm dealing with further. I have a few areas id like to beef up, but like i said, overall, quarters, front and rear torque boxes, frame repair, etc all done. My main goal is safety, and to get this thing on the road in hopefully 2 years. Im not looking for a show car. I want a solid car I'm not afraid to drive. Something over 300 hp, manual, with stiffened and more modern day suspension. Looking for any direction, resources, guides, etc. from any of you gentleman.

• Sponsors (?)

What type of budget are you looking at. If you want to sink some money into it then the sky is the limit. However, if you are looking to stick with a strict budget then you may have to decide what is a necessity. As for the rear end, is the rear end the original 8.8" from the factory or does it have an aftermarket 9"? As for a transmission, are you wanting to go with a 4 speed (T10) or a 5 speed (T5)? Please provide more information as to what you are wanting and what you are willing to put into it.

Im trying to keep it pretty budget friendly. Id like to get a 302 and t5 in there for now, keep my initial focus on reinforcing the frame, brakes, and suspension. I believe the rear end is the stock 8" so i would be looking at upgrading that along with the suspension back there. I want to start with welding in subframe connectors and reinforcing any areas and where to look as far as less know quality parts websites.

@back67fast
What was the original drivetrain? (289, 302, 390, etc)? Rear stock 8"? I believe 8.5 and 9 were used. Torqueboxes? I've wondered about that with no answers for about 50 years now. Are those the two nebulous covered-over from below areas up front directly below the spring towers? imp

First and foremost make sure all of the rust is removed. Any rust is a weak point that will only get weaker over time, I am aware this is a no-brainer I just felt I should elaborate the importance. They make kits that do exactly what you are looking for. Mustangs Plus and CJ Pony Parts. My car has subframe connectors that are simply made from square tubing and some metal tabs to connect it to the chassis. ATK Performance Engines has some healthy 302 crate engines. You can buy them bare or fully built up with EFI, it is all up to what you are looking for. On the rear, if you are going to upgrade it make the move to a 9". When it comes to the suspension there are many routes you can go. You can upgrade to a Mustang II front end or just change the components you have for performance ones. In the rear, you can upgrade the leaf springs or make the move to a 4-link. A 4 link isn't too badly priced if you do not use a pre-configured kit.

I got a 5.0 from a 95 gt and aod from a pick and pull when they had a 50% off sale for $500, then a motorsport harness and some odds and ends. Cheap, easy to install and reliable. Has good power im happy w it, happier w price

shem

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 5.0 from a 95 gt and aod from a pick and pull when they had a 50% off sale for $500, then a motorsport harness and some odds and ends. Cheap, easy to install and reliable. Has good power im happy w it, happier w price

shem
@The Shemdogg
JEEZ! 500 bucks? Stole them blind! And yer drivin' it now? Really great report! Love it! What is your transmission? imp