Fox New Guy Need Help With Value Of Car

You can pul the number one spark plug out...stick your finger on the hole and rotate the engine. When you feel air coming out you're on the compression stroke. You can then put a screw driver in the spark plug hole and slowly rotate the engine with a breaker bar or ratchet. As the piston comes up or down you can feel it through the screw driver. Once you locate the highest point it will be close to top dead center. Pull the cap and see where the rotor is pointing. Turn the distributor until it lines up with the number 1 wire location on the cap.

You could also use a positive stop made from an old spark plug and a bolt. Find compression stroke. Insert positive stop mark the balancer when engine stops turning ( by hand ) clockwise. Then mark where it stops turning counter clockwise. Make a line in the middle and it'll be close to TDC.

Make sure the firing order is correct. These engines have two different ones... H.O. and non H.O.

• Sponsors (?)

You can pul the number one spark plug out...stick your finger on the hole and rotate the engine. When you feel air coming out you're on the compression stroke. You can then put a screw driver in the spark plug hole and slowly rotate the engine with a breaker bar or ratchet. As the piston comes up or down you can feel it through the screw driver. Once you locate the highest point it will be close to top dead center. Pull the cap and see where the rotor is pointing. Turn the distributor until it lines up with the number 1 wire location on the cap.

You could also use a positive stop made from an old spark plug and a bolt. Find compression stroke. Insert positive stop mark the balancer when engine stops turning ( by hand ) clockwise. Then mark where it stops turning counter clockwise. Make a line in the middle and it'll be close to TDC.

Make sure the firing order is correct. These engines have two different ones... H.O. and non H.O.

Ok so it starts up now but dies right away. You were right ignition timing was off. I give it gas and it still dies out. I can start it right back up but it dies out again.

Check fuel pressure
Pull spout see if it stays running
If fuel pressure is good and it does the same when you pull the spout then go through the no start checklist in the teck/how to threads.
When was the last time you changed fuel filter?

Check fuel pressure
Pull spout see if it stays running
If fuel pressure is good and it does the same when you pull the spout then go through the no start checklist in the teck/how to threads.
When was the last time you changed fuel filter?

Not sure what you mean by pull spout. This looks like the fuel regulator so I unplugged the line to it and tried to start it no difference.

No clue on the filter. I bought it not running as a project and I'm slowly working on it as I have time.

Attachments

• IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 123
I know someone already said the one circled in red is the ect sensor but where does it connect to?
Also the one circled in blue what is that?

Attachments

• IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    510.1 KB · Views: 105
The red circle is the temp gauge sender location, from the looks of it that is the bulb to a aftermarket gauge, the blue circle is the wire that plugs into the stock temp sender, get a stock temp SENDER and put it in the hole circled in red, plug the blue circled wire into the sender.
The temp SENSOR (ect) is mounted in the heater tubing on the passenger side and has two wires connected to it.
It can be easy for a novice tow get them confused
Sender for temp gauge= 1 wire
Sensor for computer= 2 wires

No that will not keep the car from starting.
You asked about the spout, the wiring harness where it plugs into the distributor has a dodad that kinda looks like a funny looking fuse, I think it's gray and you should be able to pull it out like a fuse, you unplug it when you set your timing.

Last edited:
No that will not keep the car from starting.
You asked about the spout, the wiring harness where it plugs into the distributor has a dodad that kinda looks like a funny looking fuse, I think it's gray and you should be able to pull it out like a fuse, you unplug it when you set your timing.

That's the thing it starts but it won't stay running.

Ok that makes sense I was wondering what the heck that thing was. I just picked up the temp sender and I'll install it here in an hour or so and pull the spout and try starting it.

I think I found the no start thread so I'll start working that and report back.

One last thing. If the ignition timing was still off a bit would it cause these symptoms? I think I got it right but I'm not sure.

If the timing is between say 8 or 9 degrees btdc and 14 degrees btdc it will run just fine, you have a fuel or ignition/computer problem. Run through that check list,
Two important notes
Make sure all you grounds are clean and tight, there are four under the hood.
Battery to block / battery to a bolt on the inner fender between the battery and the solenoid that also has a wire going down into a cylindrical connection then into the harness / block to firewall behind the drivers side head / block ground wire that is on the passenger side rear of the intake manifold, it's hard to see it, but should come from the harness under the fuel pressure regulator and bolt to the manifold.
Make sure you ignition switch does not have any signs of overheated wire connections, not the key switch, the ignition switch is located under the dash on the steering column, when you try to start the car, don't just let go the key, ease it back to the run position, you may have a bad ignition switch.

Haha!!

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

So I think I have it narrowed down to the pump or a clogged filter. I'm going to rent a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and also test the inertia switch.
I unplugged the spout and it ran for a second or 2 longer then would die. After trying that for 3-4 times the ignition went completely dead.

Plugged the spout back in and it fired up but died right away again.

Reactions: 1 user