New guy on here have a few questions on heads and cam

jason49b

Sep 5, 2011
I have a 93 mustang gt with a vortech supercharger with alot of mods, 36lb injectors, 255 wal boro fuel pump, Gt-40 heads and stock cam, eagle rolling assembly for bottom end, The advice I'm looking for today what heads and cam would be a good application for this set up I have. I've been looking at the AFR or the trick flow heads. And as for the cam I've heard that I don't need an agressive cam cause I would loose some boost from my supercharger, is that true? I would appreciate any advice if you need more info just let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

Boost is a measure of pressure caused by resistance in flow in the system. So, typically as volumetric efficiency (VE) goes up, boost will drop. DO NOT mistake this for a loss in performance. It simply means that the air that your supercharger is pushing is moving through the inlet tract and into the cylinder easier.

Now, you can have a cam with a lot of overlap which will actually "bleed off" boost pressure, which could be a bad thing. That's where I would talk to a pro cam guy to determine your needs. For a boosted street car, you don't really need an aggressive cam, anyway.

For heads, I'm a fan of Trick Flow Twisted Wedges, but there are some nice offerings from AFR and Edelbrock as well. It really depends on your "rolling assembly" ( :p ) though, as the valve reliefs in your pistons may have your hands tied on which heads you can run.