New guy with a few questions

1987fox5.0

May 13, 2010
Just got my first stang. A 87 fox body 5.0. Just bought it today, While driving it home I noticed a few things I never noticed when I first looked at it.

One the steering collum seemes really loose

Also I tured the wipers on just to see if they worked then I couldn't get the delay to turn off, its almost like the lever isn't twisting all the way off?

Not sure if this is where to post these kind of things but any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
29871_10150169434705635_608020634_12169100_7961190_n.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Posted via Mobile Device
the wiper probably just needs a new multi switch. thats a pretty common problem. for the steering i would follow the column into the engine bay and see if anything is loose. if so tighten the bolts back down and see if its any better. if that doesnt fix it you may need a new tilt column. not hard to replace if thats what it comes to.

oh yeah. PICS!!

Bingo puuled the collum apart and those 2 bolts were loose, tightend them up, also I grabed a multi switch from a 93 but the wipers dont work at all, the lights and everything do but not the wipers, also my fuel guage is really weird. It reads fuul untill I get about half a tank then it goes to half, then back up to full?

Also my temp guage doesnt work where should I look to fix that?

if you can find a stang in the yard there is a little circuit board called the anti-slosh module that goes bad. it pulls right out. get one of those if you can. If that doesnt fix your gas reading then your fuel sending unit is shot.
Temp gauge probably needs a new sender. its located on the lower intake on the driver side.

Check to see if the rag joint is shot on the steering shaft. If it is anything like mine was then that could easily solve your loose steering. As far as clear...the only way to do it right is to re clear the car. It looks nice from the pic so you should do it right. Oh and Im with the rest of them . More Pics!!!
and welcome to the jungle.

Are you sure you are turning the wipers off. Not to sound like an azz but the lowest setting on the wiper delay and the off position are on opposite sides of the switch. There is not another setting past the low delay for off. you have to turn it the other way. Off is between fully on and the delay start positions. should read HI -LO- 0 - then the delays. make sure it is on the 0 and it will be off. hope that helps. if not then just ignore me

FYI I found this out when I bought my first fox 10 years ago driving home in the rain at night. never had a car that did that before so it was strange to me.

ph and your car looks clean. Makes me miss my 89 LX.

sweet, My steering was like yours when I first got it. Tightened up the two bolts and it has been perfect ever since. Everytime I look at you hatch makes me want another one. I know if I get rid of my coupe I would miss it though.

Thanks for all the replies! New probleem tho took the car for dinner today and came out to find a puddle of coolant underneath it. The car has an electric fan and i'm 99% sure its not working, I'm assuming its hooked up to a thermostat on my temp guage thats also not working. I was thinking of just wiring the fan to a switch. I also noticed on the way to dinner the car was idleing high(1500rpmish) and on he way home it was fine(900ish) I think it just got really hot and boiled over some coolant. What you guys think?