New guy

What's going on, I'm currently fixing up a 73 mach 1 with a 351c, 9" rear w/ 3.73's and a (burned out) trac-lok and a top loader tranny. It has an edelbrock manifold and carb, msd distributor + wires with a 6a box (that's getting dumped for a digital 6). I redid the suspension with new upper/lower CA's, 1" drop springs in the front and a 2" lowering block in the rear, new leaf springs, KYB shocks and slide-a-links (which I can't seem to set up right :(). I just bought a set of aussie heads which will bump up the compression (much needed) and I'm getting headers with a custom exhaust and a snotty cam in the next couple of weeks. I haven't driven the car in almost a year, and it started right up yesterday, with the dashboard apart note: the gauges complete the "ON" circuit! the car won't start without the gauges in place :p. I fixed my leaky heater box and am updating the gauges with LED lights, so I can see the damn things at night. I'm pretty excited to put this together and finally make some power with this thing. This was my first car and I daily drove it for my last year of high school. I'll get some pictures up tommorow.

• Sponsors (?)

maybe 1 or 2

Attachments

• lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAGE_00075.jpg
    IMAGE_00075.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 109
Cool car. I'd bet the rice-burners and the F-body crowd all think twice (or more) before talking smack to you. :p

Gotta ask the typical "C" questions:
1.) 2V heads or 4V heads?
2.)Rear gear ratio?
3.) What carb are you feeding her with?
4.)How long do rear tires last? (especially with the now-peglegged diff)

Have a '73 XR-7 myownself; going "the opposite direction" for the sleeper look. This is my second C-bomb; last one was a '73 Gran Torino with a 2V, Crane split-duration cam (hey- it was 1980!) Edelbrock intake and Holley 600. Found a Trac-Loc diff in good shape with 3.25 gears, made it more fun. She was a white 4-door; kept fairly well shined up with TR-3. polished the full wheel covers and shod her with Goodyear whitewalls :p Looked like a "grandma car", which only added to the fun. The present Cougar will (eventually) look like something a successful insurance agent would have owned in the 70's; with the same little surprises....... :D

We also specialize in Mayhem, Marital Advice, and Child rearing!

I hope you mean rasing children...

[Gotta ask the typical "C" questions:
1.) 2V heads or 4V heads?
2.)Rear gear ratio?
3.) What carb are you feeding her with?
4.)How long do rear tires last? (especially with the now-peglegged diff)]

1.) right now it has crap 73 2vs, but I ordered a set of Aussie closed chamber 2v's
2.) 3.73
3.) edelbrock performer 600, which is probably going to be changed
4.) not nearly long enough, I bought a set a year and a half ago, and barely put 2000 miles on the car, oddly enough the passenger side is almost bald:rolleyes:

I hope you mean rasing children...

actually the correct gramatical term is "rearing" children....as they don't grow in a garden... otherwise...We'd be called CHINA!!! :rlaugh:

lol, not to sound harsh man, I LOVE the black on that thing! :nice: have fun, and don't mind BBFCM.....if you stay BEHIND the railing (thats there for YOUR protection) you should still ahve all of your limbs. :nice:

I wouldn't (and don't) complain too much about the "crap 2V's"; I like the port velocity down in the low RPM's myself. (This probably contributes quite a bit to belts showing through on your passenger rear tire - if the limted-slip diff was up to par, they'd both be bald.) Aussie heads do make it a little easier to bump the timing up without it sounding like there's a bunch of empty beer cans rattling around in your fan shroud; and the plugs and valves seem to live a little longer as well. But I didn't burn any pistons when I was playing with my last C; and I was a dumb-azz 17- to 22-yr-old with more testosterone than common sense while holding a timing light, so they are on my "one of these days" list.
Personally, I'm more interested in getting rid of the factory crap 2-piece valves! Lots of people have beaten on those valves for years at seriously high RPM's without and hiccup; but other people have been sedately tooling along on a city street at about 1500 RPM, and suddenly been introduced to the sound of a loose valve head trying to escape through a piston top or cylinder wall. I'm just not that big on unpredictability any more; so getting some one-piecers in my present OC heads are a bit higher up on the priority list!

Edelbrock carbs - some people love 'em, some people don't. The Holley 1850C (600cfm vac sec) made my Torino scream; but the best medicine for the 406 I stuck in a '72 F100 was, in fact, a 725 (750, maybe?) mech sec Carter AFB - now known as the Edelbrock Performer, so........

I wouldn't (and don't) complain too much about the "crap 2V's"; I like the port velocity down in the low RPM's myself. (This probably contributes quite a bit to belts showing through on your passenger rear tire - if the limted-slip diff was up to par, they'd both be bald.)

Edelbrock carbs - some people love 'em, some people don't. The Holley 1850C (600cfm vac sec) made my Torino scream; but the best medicine for the 406 I stuck in a '72 F100 was, in fact, a 725 (750, maybe?) mech sec Carter AFB - now known as the Edelbrock Performer, so........

The aussie heads have the 2v ports with a closed chamber, giving you port velocity and compression. The ones I have now are open chamber, 8:1 at best.
The edelbrock carb is good, its very reliable and made more power than the old carter that was on it did out of the box. Once I get the cam, headers and the other good stuff, I made need a little bigger of a carb, and I may opt for a holley for the mechanical secondaries or AVS edelbrock for the adjustabilty.

oh great, another FNG :nonono::nonono:

or as the submarine service would say NUB:rlaugh::rlaugh:

jk welcome aboard. the 351c is an excellent engine to build. as ofr the heads i wouldnt worry about the open chamber heads until you start building some real power from that engine, meaning more than 450hp. i would use the performer intake and carb for that engine, and a decent set of headers. if you want a good set of heads for that engine, give edelbrock a call as they have closed chamber heads with the smaller ports and they will do real nice for you.

and as for 65stanger, approach his cage carefully, and have NO FOOD in your hands. if he smells food he will try to get out of his cage and get it. probably taking your arm as well. treat him nice though and he is a teddy bear.

The aussie heads have the 2v ports with a closed chamber, giving you port velocity and compression. The ones I have now are open chamber, 8:1 at best.
Actually, it's more the cross-sectional dimensions of the intake/head runners that give you the velocity. Along the same lines as the volume of an average "hose nozzle" gives the resulting water stream more pressure-induced velocity than the size of the bucket into which you're spraying the water.

Right now, I'm too tired/lazy to look up (internet or my Chilton/Haynes manuals) the CR of a 2V Cleveland; but I'm pretty sure you've got about .75-1.00 points greater CR with the Closed Chamber (OZ) 2V heads.
Also, the CC heads better direct the flame front of gas detonation; in this case lowering the chance for pre-det ("empty beer cans in your fan shroud") as compared to the OC heads.