New Guy

chris_1980capri

Apr 23, 2017
hey guys new to the forum. my car isn't a mustang but its close. 1980 Capri RS my first fox body . i am doing a build . there are a lot of things i don't know about the car but i am mechanically inclined . the things i don't know are . what tire can i fit under the back of the car. is the 7.5 diff really that bad ??
info on the build i don't want to mini tub or roll fenders

building 302 it is bored 30 over haven't decided on heads or anything 2500 stall rebuilding the c4
aiming for 400 hp NA with a 100 shot . 410 gears . haven't decided on heads yet probably going to go with a 270-280 something cam to compliment the stall.

info on a tire size and a diff would be great what works and what doesn't work. thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Chris, welcome to Stangnet.

Let's see some pictures of your capri.

Roughly the largest tire you will fit without rolling the quarters is a 275......maybe. It seems that some guys cars will fit a larger tire than others. You'll just have to do some measuring to know for sure on your car.

The 7.5 will probably be ok at that hp rating, but you really should consider an 8.8. They are far stronger. That's why Ford changed to them.

You're wanting 400hp without the NOS? Kind of pushing it, especially for streetability there. Fact is, I would say you would take away from it being a regular driver at that stage without going for a 347 or 363. If you mean WITH NOS, then a good set of heads from AFR or Trick Flow, a good cam, nice intake with a larger carburetor (600-650cfm) is what you need, though still that will only bring you up to around the 300-325ish area.

Have you already built the short block? If so, tell us the details. 400 is getting to be a serious amount from a stock block without a bit of money spent on the internals.

i am considering a 8.8 for sure. i just thought 7.5 for now kinda thing. and yes 400 hp at the flex plate. then with a 100 shot . and by no means its going to be a daily driver just a weekend run and take it to the track thing. for internals i got just 30 over speed pro or silvolite ??? i want to say don't remember to be honest lol not forged or anything . hyperutectic. the block is machined . i am looking for a crank however the one that was in it had very deep gouges. not sure how post pics

With an NA build the deciding factor is how the air gets in and out of it. You will need a 331 stroker, great heads I have seen this done with a tfs170 head but that's pushing it. Custom cam, long tunes, Victor Sr or Parker Funnel Web intake, 750ish carburetor

Deep pockets.

I don't see why a goal of 400hp NA as being all that lofty of a goal. Look at the blueprint engine's 306 ford crate engine, it's rated at 390hp with a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and recommended to run on 91 octane and a 1800-2200rpm stall.... doesn't sound un-streetable to me as far as a street/strip car goes. They even dress that engine with only a 600cfm carb.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Eng...Block-Ford-306ci-390HP-370TQ/2461159/10002/-1

The key is good aftermarket heads, and intake. Good balancing to let it rev is also going to be a big factor in getting the power out of the smaller displacement motor. No it's not going to be as cheap as building with the good junkyard heads, but with a goal like that it's to be expected.

I don't see why a goal of 400hp NA as being all that lofty of a goal. Look at the blueprint engine's 306 ford crate engine, it's rated at 390hp with a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and recommended to run on 91 octane and a 1800-2200rpm stall.... doesn't sound un-streetable to me as far as a street/strip car goes. They even dress that engine with only a 600cfm carb.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Eng...Block-Ford-306ci-390HP-370TQ/2461159/10002/-1

The key is good aftermarket heads, and intake. Good balancing to let it rev is also going to be a big factor in getting the power out of the smaller displacement motor. No it's not going to be as cheap as building with the good junkyard heads, but with a goal like that it's to be expected.
Ok, interesting. That's why I asked others to come in with advice.

Last edited:
i honestly dont see why 400 at the flywheel isnt obtainable. i watched the video in the link also im not looking for 400 at the wheels till i hit the nos. and it is not going to be a daily driver it will be a weekend car and at the track car. i think i figured out how to get some pics up. let me know if it works.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

snort.... blueprint engine... snort. let's see the dyno sheet . Cheap chinese heads.. unknown cam, crank. rods, bearings springs.. 1800-2200 stall on a 400hp motor with a .540 lift? what's the power band on the cam again? 600 cfm carb?

tell me another story Grandpa!

It doesn't add up to me totally based on the specs either (especially the carb); but as a company as far as I can tell BluePrint seems to have a pretty decent reputation, and they dyno every engine before it goes out (although dyno results can be skewed) . They sponsor engine masters so they're ok in my books.

I cant tell any more stories today; I'm out of Werther's Original

i honestly dont see why 400 at the flywheel isnt obtainable. i watched the video in the link also im not looking for 400 at the wheels till i hit the nos. and it is not going to be a daily driver it will be a weekend car and at the track car. i think i figured out how to get some pics up. let me know if it works.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg
New parts are always the prettiest thing! Nice!

Welcome to stang net. If you dont know much you are in the right place.....cause we dont know much either.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user