Black Jack: TMOSS Intake Time + Aftermarket Fan

Polished Pipes:
@Mustang5L5 We talked about this a while back and I finally had the opportunity to get to a shop with a good welder & pipe bending machine so that they could be done right. The car is dirty and the lighting is terrible for pics, but whatever... at least you can see the angle.

NewPipes01.jpg

NewPipes02.jpg

NewPipes03.jpg

Dreaded tick:
So, here's a tough one, guys... I'm getting a tick that sounds like it's coming from passenger side firewall or perhaps fender area. I've thought it's coming from the engine bay, but can't hear it outside of the car over the loud engine. So, it's possible that it's just maybe in the cabin. The tick is only under light load and typically between 1.5-2.5k RPM. It won't do it at startup and usually take a few minutes before it'll start. New clue: The newest and most confusing clue is that I can make this tick disappear for a minute or two just by toggling the key to off and back to run in the middle of a drive. I mean, I'll be on the highway going like 45-50 mph in 4th or 5th and it's ticking away. Then, I'll go key-off and back to key-on/run and after a brief hiccup from the car, the car is under power again and the tick is gone! But... it comes back in another minute or so. I think it comes back more quickly like this then when the car is cold.

To put it in perspective, the tick is so light that I actually thought it was a spark jumping from the plugs or wires, but addressing it with new plugs/wires/cap/rotor didn't cure it. So, I thought maybe it was an exhaust leak... rolled around under the car with it running and heard/felt/smelled/saw nothing. Started to think it was a lifter. But the new clue debunks that one, I think. I guess this could be some vacuum actuated thing or perhaps something is happening when the computer goes into closed loop.

This one is another real head scratcher, and I'd really appreciate some help on it. I may post a separate thread on this the next time I decided to really go after it.

Other Notes:
In addition to the pipes, I just put a replacement front bumper support in. Earlier in the thread, you'll find that I didn't have the brackets I needed to install it. I picked up the whole support with brackets on the marketplace for $80. The brackets alone were on ebay for $200. So, I was happy to come across this deal. It's one of those better to have and not need than need and not have kinda deals. Hopefully, I never use it, but if I do, maybe it'll keep my radiator and supports in better shape.

I may have mentioned this earlier, but as can be seen in the first pic, the quarter window trim cover from the last guy blew off on one of my high-speed jaunts and it looks like hell. I'll get to that eventually.

• Sponsors (?)

What had to be modded for the tips to fit?

I plan on doing my exhaust in my garage. I have a welder if needed, it I was hoping to just slip it all together and clamp and call it a day.

The Dynomax 2.5” SS tail pipes fit my Coupe perfectly with the MM panhard bar and torque arm. I did have to drop the rear end to get them installed in one piece. If they have to come back out they will be cut on the back side of the rear end up and over and get some kind of flange kit installed. I’m not dropping the rear end out/down again when there is an easier solution.

Not sure Dynomax makes them anymore but I have heard the Flowmaster units are really good as well and they are still made. I’m pretty sure Walker used to make them as well but I don’t see them in their catalog.

If you do not have the panhard bar a driveway install is a Sat afternoon and a couple cold drinks. A buddy helps to hold the tail pipe while you tighten up the clamps.

Maybe I just do things the hard way. I like 'em welded up. On both sets, this car and Kandi's, that required adjustment to the positioning of the mufflers, one of which hung too low, removing the front hangars, and for some reason, slightly rotating the passenger side pipe counter clockwise a bit to get the tip oriented correctly. So, the pipe over the axle leans in towards the UCA and makes it a tight fit. Will take pics next time I'm under the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Black Jack just got promoted to my DD. I'm sorry to say that this was the last day with my Saturn SL2 beater. It's been the best car I've ever owned from a utilitarian perspective. Unfortunately, it was a slightly rainy, very slick road, and a semi truck decided he owned the road today. Doing my best to avoid the truck, I lost control of the car, went into a ditch backwards and rolled 4 times. Had the best tires I knew to put on it -- Michelin Defenders. Unfortunately, they and I just weren't good enough to keep it on the road. Thankfully, the Saturn kept me safe as its final act. I walked away unscathed.

Wreck1.jpg

Wreck2.jpg

• Surprised
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Black Jack just got promoted to my DD. I'm sorry to say that this was the last day with my Saturn SL2 beater. It's been the best car I've ever owned from a utilitarian perspective. Unfortunately, it was a slightly rainy, very slick road, and a semi truck decided he owned the road today. Doing my best to avoid the truck, I lost control of the car, went into a ditch backwards and rolled 4 times. Had the best tires I knew to put on it -- Michelin Defenders. Unfortunately, they and I just weren't good enough to keep it on the road. Thankfully, the Saturn kept me safe as its final act. I walked away unscathed.

Wreck1.jpg

Wreck2.jpg

Wheels and tires any good?

How much if I pick them up? :D

Glad you're alright. Time to find another snow mobile :chin

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Scrapped the car already. Probably couldn't have made much more than they paid, even before the wreck. Got something the wheels'd fit? I have a winter set on steelies. Yours if they'd work for ya. Wanna say 185/65/15s. You'd need to figure out lug spacing and shipping.

Last edited:
  • Haha
'preciate the moral support, guys. I wasn't even sore today. Went back to work the same afternoon. Things go easier with a beater. No bureaucratic insurance hassle except getting reimbursed for the tow. No adjuster to negotiate with. No significant financial loss. It didn't even ruin my day, yesterday. Family and work colleagues were so supportive. They were overzealous in making me get medically checked out, but it came from a place of care and concern.

Back to the new beater, Black Jack, I've got to figure out how to get through the winter. It can get snowy/icy here and these cars really aren't the best for that type of thing. I'm under a constraint of having to move to NC in 3 months, and waiting to get another car is preferable. I do have my F250 to take when needed, but it's no 4x4, though it does have off road type tires and I have chains ig that becomes necessary.

I drove my 89 gt vert through 2ft blizzards and really bad ice storms. When driving through snow ruts, higher than the bumper, I just swerved side to side to let the snow build up drop in the previous cars ruts. Aired down the tires. Always stay moving. Try not to over spin the tires. Rope looped through the rim and over the tires saved me a couple times. Keep the nose pointed in front of you. Smh

That car did surprisingly well in the snow.

The thing that eventually killed that car was rust and stress cracks. I wish I hadn't daily driven that car for over 3 years. The salt took its toll.

I've got a set of Michelin X-Ice Snow tires on the way. They won't be great in the spring/summer, but I have a few months and a move to get through as safely as possible. I'll either find another set of ponies, which are all over the FB marketplace for 200-400 depending on condition of wheels/tires, or I'll get the plan together and get going on the 5-lug swap.

I've got a set of Michelin X-Ice Snow tires on the way. They won't be great in the spring/summer, but I have a few months and a move to get through as safely as possible. I'll either find another set of ponies, which are all over the FB marketplace for 200-400 depending on condition of wheels/tires, or I'll get the plan together and get going on the 5-lug swap.
DSCF1180.JPG
DSCF0735.JPG

Black Jack completely died on me, this morning. Been battling a situation where the car just feels like it's losing ignition to the point I have to pull onti the shoulder, and then suddenly it's back. Replaced TFI module, then ign coil, unplugged MAF, and this morning, before it completely died, I replaced the entire dizzy with a known good one.

Now, I don't think there's any coincidence that I've been hearing a clicking/ticking sound on the passenger side of the cabin. I thought it was on the far side of the firewall and completely checked the car for exhaust leaks, and maybe arcing from the wires, which led me to replace wires, plugs, cap, & rotor. I suppose the salt and pepper shakers are still a possibility, but I have another idea, now.

I think my A9L was both problems. The ticking/clicking was it's way of trying to warn me.

Very fortunately, I recently purchased a spare A9L from a forum member just to have as a backup/diagnostic part. It'll go in when I get back from DC, this weekend. If it clears things up, I'll be buying a backup backup.