New here: Thoughts on buying this 86’ Capri 5.0

mjt7

Apr 27, 2018
Illinois
Newbie here,

I am high schooler who likes American muscle cars. Will be getting a clean 97’ Tahoe in a year. Spotted this 1986 Capri 5.0 a few blocks from my house. I am interested in this car because my friend has a 93’ Fox. The car looks pretty clean, but it has been for sale for a few months. The car has 159,000 miles. The paint is actually clean, but the car is covered in dust. Do you guys think it is worth it and what do you think I could get it for (seller is asking 2,500)?

Thanks for any input

29561B41-9948-4B2B-A895-9DA253663870.jpeg
258F3D39-A70A-415F-99B7-A722EFAC18A1.jpeg
864AEA45-6C46-44F1-801F-BB7F3F482CA9.jpeg
0C27B3E3-4ECE-4839-9A87-AA989D9F5B2E.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

Capris are super cool, and rare enough these days that you'd be in a somewhat exclusive owner's group if you got one. With that said, judging by the pictures and the fact that it's an Illinois car, that thing is almost definitely a rusty mess. You will likely not find a V8 Capri for that kind of money in the Midwest that's not a total disaster in one way or another. You should still look into this car just to see what the story is, but my advice to you is to shop for cars in the South- I would say no further North than Tennessee or Arkansas. Down there they use much less salt on the roads and you're much more likely to find a car of this age in the same price range without a lot of rust damage. Plus, you can make a fun road trip out of going to get the car with your old man or some buddies or whatever.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input. I will look at the car again next weekend to talk with the seller. Assuming that the car does run, are there any specific areas on the car where I should be looking for rust or damage? Also, would it be worth the buy considering I will be going off to college in a year and a half? Would it be possible to haggle the seller down to $500-$1000?

Look at the floor plans, the door hinge area where the doors bolt on, the cowl area and the subframe inside the engine bay for rust. If there is major rust then walk away. If you can take more pictures and post them here. This place has many many people who will help you out.

I've always liked the Capri. The fenders are unique, as well as the hood. I do prefer them without the bubble hatch though. My Fox addiction was started by a 1982 Capri a friend had in high school. That one looks like it's in fair condition.

Like the others said, check the major rust areas.

As far as price goes, it’s kinda low honestly ( assuming no hidden damage) so haggle with caution.

Geez! I love it!

My turn to be a parrot, check for rust in the places Chris suggested above. The front subframe right below the shock tower is usually the worst place for rust damage. When I say rust, btw, I mean rot. The surface rust has eaten all the way through the metal. Surface rust is no big deal.

Check this by using a class ring (if you have yours yet). Tap your hand against the panel you’re checking in a known good area so you can hear the sound of good metal, then tap the suspect area. If it makes a more dull sound, then that’s bad.

See if the engine starts, or at least turns over. You don’t want to have to deal with a seized engine as well.

If no major rust and the engine turns over, I would end up in trouble with my wife. The V8 really helps with the value.

Like Bill said, I think that’s a really good price if there’s no rust and the engine turns over. The only way I’d try to talk him down is if it really didn’t matter to me if I got the car.

I love the bubble hatch myself.

Last edited:
That's a nice looking Capri and looks to be in good shape. The Capri's were unique in many ways, fender's, quarter panels, nose, bubble hatch, but are essentially the same as a Mustang. The price is low already as long as it runs isn't rusted out bad.

I'm glad that it isn't right down the street from me, I'm still in trouble with my wife from the last car I brought home. :D

<-----another fan of the bubble hatch.

The 'girl at the other end of the couch' still don't know about the cobra intake I got a while back.
capri models are hard to find, look it over good.

I hear ya. She isn't aware of the vintage parts that I stashed in the storage locker but the "farm fresh" '65 MGB sitting in her parking space in the garage was a little more difficult to hide. :D She's starting to understand that I'm going thru the mid-life crisis and some vintage stuff is better than a younger woman.

Last edited:
  • Haha