New Job...Venting Already!

flstang65

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
SE Georgia
Ok, like the title says, I got a new job. I got out of the Army back in September and it has taken me until this past Monday to find a job. Seems like no one in Orlando wants to hire a technician with Army experience and a college degree. I kept getting told I was over qualified and the likes. It has been a very frustrating experience. The pay at my new job blows and there is no benefits. I am not complaining, I am actaully thankful to have a job now.

Anyways, I got a job at a local mechanic shop. there is a chain of them here in Florida, and other states I believe. I got a job there as a service advisor. I have been a service advisor before, but a a Mercedes and Jeep dealership. I know the prices were a little higher there, but I thought they were still fair given the nature of the cars we were dealing with there.

I have been both a service advisor and a tech so I know how things work and cost on both ends of the spectrum. At this place I actually don't feel right with myself dealing with these people because of our prices. Seriously, $68 to change a cabin air filter? $90 to change the plug wires on a cyl engine? $400 for a tune up on a 6 or 8 cyl engine. Some times they even charge for a plug wire change on an engine that uses cop's. Those are just a few of the ones that really bother me.

Now, I know there are industry standards out there that we have to follow for prices and time, but I also have a crooked service manager that will over charge and if the customer complains they lower the prices so they think that they won. If they agree to the price, as soon as they leave he puts the prices back to what they should be and takes the profit and shares it with the lead tech. On top of that, he is extremely rude and disrespectful to the customers and if you refuse to do the work on the car he treats you like poo poo and goes back in the shop and flat out ignores them leaving me to clean up his mess.

On the other hand, the owner is a great guy, but I think the is being played by the service manager and the lead tech. When the service manager isn't around and the owner is working its the total oposite. The other techs are cool as hell too and we are all car guys so I get to hang around all day in a shop, talk cars, help out here and there and I stay clean. Lol. Also, I get to use the bays/lift to do my own car work whenever I am off the clock and the other guys are always more than willing to help.

All this being said, I have decided to try and stick out this job until I can get back into shape and get back into the Army.

Sorry this has been so long winded, but I needed to vent a little and I havn't been on much lately with everything I have had going on (new job, moving, family).

Lastly to end on a positive note...University of Georgia ranks #1 in pre season poll!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear man, you haven't tried to latch on at some performance shops in the Orlando area? There isn't a lack of them, even from there to Tampa there is several good ones, and not only domestic related.

I am in the same boat, I am about to graduate in one semester from college and I am stuck at a job where the company is selling out and just letting us ride it until we are bought out, and although I have been at this job for the past 5 years no one is willing to hire in retail right now with someone who has been as dependable and productive as me. It sucks, but I am sure pretty soon both of us will find something way better, you moreso than me because of your Army experience and college degree.

sounds like you need to get everyone together and approach the owner and explain the situation. tell him whats going on. hopefully he will fire those two a**holes and things will get better. he may also turn a blind eye to it all. Just remember to use some of that tact you learned in the army. make sure you explain how much better things are when he is around as apposed to the other guys. suggest he put in a hidden camera to catch those two skiming off the top. You could always stick it out till you can find another job.

What was your MOS? have you looked into joining the NG and getting a tech job? they generally pay pretty damn well and have benifits including retirement and tsp matching.

Dude i had the same problem when i cot out of the Corps. I was an Ammo Technition Specialits(Ammo tech for short), and the Ammunition plant that used to be around where i live had freaking closed. I finally settled for a job at a Ford Dealership while in school but now i'm actually applying for the job i really wanted. Good luck brother you'll get it all worked out:flag:

...What was your MOS? have you looked into joining the NG and getting a tech job? they generally pay pretty damn well and have benifits including retirement and tsp matching.

i was a 63b (wheel mechanic) but i also did 63h stuff (track mechanic). we were also trained as infantry and mp because our MLRS launchers we had were considered weapons of mass destruction. so when we were over there we parked em in the motor pool and did raids and prison duty.

if i go back in i am going to go back in full time again. at least this time i can go back in as an officer and make some more money.

i have tried all the performance shops in orlando and the space coast. no one is hiring. i got offered a job at powered by ford in orlando as a tec/helper, but again it was less than what i am making now and with no benefits. another advantage to the one i have now i can ride my bike to work from my house, and by bike i mean good old fashioned pedal power. powered by ford was across town. im still staying positive and still looking for a better job. in a way its kind of good how things have worked out because of family problems and my dad is still around to help out. thank got for stanget and my mustang to help keep my sanity, oh, and the girlfriend, of course.

i was a 63b (wheel mechanic) but i also did 63h stuff (track mechanic). we were also trained as infantry and mp because our MLRS launchers we had were considered weapons of mass destruction. so when we were over there we parked em in the motor pool and did raids and prison duty.

if i go back in i am going to go back in full time again. at least this time i can go back in as an officer and make some more money.

i have tried all the performance shops in orlando and the space coast. no one is hiring. i got offered a job at powered by ford in orlando as a tec/helper, but again it was less than what i am making now and with no benefits. another advantage to the one i have now i can ride my bike to work from my house, and by bike i mean good old fashioned pedal power. powered by ford was across town. im still staying positive and still looking for a better job. in a way its kind of good how things have worked out because of family problems and my dad is still around to help out. thank got for stanget and my mustang to help keep my sanity, oh, and the girlfriend, of course.
I know its tough to get back in the civilian world after being in the military. Just as someone previously mention...you can go back on active duty several ways. The AGR program is an excellent program. I know plenty of people that are on that program.

I have currently been away from my civilian job for 2 years now performing duty down here at MacDill. Love it. I am Army in the reserves. We are always looking for 63B's or warrant officers. We are an airborne unit with a high speed mission. I can say, its tough training and we are not a tradition reserve unit.

Are you in the reserves or guard? If not, you should consider joining the reserves or guard to get back into the swing of things. You find that you unit may have some fulltime jobs in uniform for you knowledge.

If you can score 250 and above on the APFT, want to go to Airborne, Pathfinder, Air Assault, technician training and work side by side with your active duty counterparts...Sound the Charge Airborne!!!!

Airborne!!

My unit was Pathfinders security in Fallujah. No Offense to the but they are GARBADGE. Because of them my security team got nailed by a SVBIED. On their behalf though they had two teams and unfortunately we had to pull security for the worse of the two.

if the chance presents it self when i get back in to get a special skill identifier i will jump on it like stink on s**t. I loved being active duty and i cant wait to get back. i would be happy with field artillery, air defense artillery, engineer, armor, infantry or ordnance.

either way, thats the last time i let someone influence me on a decision like that. (my ex wife)