new Kenne Bell

bolsen2

Aug 8, 2006
DSCN1400.jpg
New motor up and running. DSS 331, Anderson blower cam,Edelbrock heads, lower ported by Thomas Moss, Kenne Bell with Flowzilla,and lots more. Putting on break in miles as we speak. No tune as yet. Just running off the computer. Done a little playing around,and it feels VERY strong. Hopeing for the best,as this has been a labor of love for some time. Brian.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi guys. Thanks for the nice comments. The blower is a 2.2 . I spent over 35 hours on the engine compartment alone. Every loom was re-taped. Every wire,and plug was cleaned with q-tips. The firewall,and lower engine bay was re-painted. The MSD was stripped,and painted to match the block,and all the powder coated engine parts. The list go,s on. The bellhousing,and transmission were painyed a semi-gloss silver,and the aluminum driveshaft was polished. Un-told amount of work,but I like "OLD SCHOOL" type of work. Considering that I am "OLD SCHOOL" myself {62} and I have been doing this kind of stuff since I was in high school. I guess its a bit overkill,but its what I enjoy. As for numbers,sadly,none yet. It will be awhile,as I am currently putting on break-in miles. Only 220 miles on this set-up as of this post. There is NO tune on the car. The 42 lbs injectors and the rest are just running off of the stock computer,with 10 degrees . As a safeguard,I have the MSD boost retard set at 2,and am running race gas mixed with the 91 octane crap here in Calif. The blower is pullied for 9.9 lbs,but I have only hit 5 lbs for just a short time. Even at 5 lbs,the car is very strong. Cant wait to get it broken in,and a good tune installed. There is a major story about this car,and how it evolved to this point,but its a very long tale,and I dont want to bore you. I must give props to Brian Shapiro,owner of B&D racing in Conoga park. Nice to have friends like him. Also to Thomas Moss,who did the intake {GT-40} and all the advice from another gentleman who frequents this sight, Don Lassota. What a gentleman he is.Wish he was not so far away from Calif. Anyway,I will try to get some other pictures posted showing the car itself,and the interior. Anyway,thanks for the kind words. By the way,just for information sake. This car is fully California legal,and passed California smog better than a new car. Pretty proud of that. Brian.

Hi guys. Thanks for the nice comments. The blower is a 2.2 . I spent over 35 hours on the engine compartment alone. Every loom was re-taped. Every wire,and plug was cleaned with q-tips. The firewall,and lower engine bay was re-painted. The MSD was stripped,and painted to match the block,and all the powder coated engine parts. The list go,s on. The bellhousing,and transmission were painyed a semi-gloss silver,and the aluminum driveshaft was polished. Un-told amount of work,but I like "OLD SCHOOL" type of work. Considering that I am "OLD SCHOOL" myself {62} and I have been doing this kind of stuff since I was in high school. I guess its a bit overkill,but its what I enjoy. As for numbers,sadly,none yet. It will be awhile,as I am currently putting on break-in miles. Only 220 miles on this set-up as of this post. There is NO tune on the car. The 42 lbs injectors and the rest are just running off of the stock computer,with 10 degrees . As a safeguard,I have the MSD boost retard set at 2,and am running race gas mixed with the 91 octane crap here in Calif. The blower is pullied for 9.9 lbs,but I have only hit 5 lbs for just a short time. Even at 5 lbs,the car is very strong. Cant wait to get it broken in,and a good tune installed. There is a major story about this car,and how it evolved to this point,but its a very long tale,and I dont want to bore you. I must give props to Brian Shapiro,owner of B&D racing in Conoga park. Nice to have friends like him. Also to Thomas Moss,who did the intake {GT-40} and all the advice from another gentleman who frequents this sight, Don Lassota. What a gentleman he is.Wish he was not so far away from Calif. Anyway,I will try to get some other pictures posted showing the car itself,and the interior. Anyway,thanks for the kind words. By the way,just for information sake. This car is fully California legal,and passed California smog better than a new car. Pretty proud of that. Brian.

U R so right about Don....what a great guy......thank goodness he is a couple of hours away....he took care of my tuning.....:nice: .....we are fortunate to have some other great guys around here as well.......too many to list....

not having traction (because of so much torque) is a good problem to have.

not having methanol and detonating (because the blower gets so hot after running for 1/2 an hour) is not a good problem to have. those things are major heat sinks and they can really heat up the intake air.

i suspect that is what killed my motor when i had my kenne-bell

not having traction (because of so much torque) is a good problem to have.

not having methanol and detonating (because the blower gets so hot after running for 1/2 an hour) is not a good problem to have. those things are major heat sinks and they can really heat up the intake air.

i suspect that is what killed my motor when i had my kenne-bell

What happen with your old engine? If I remember correctly you had some oil leaks?

What happen with your old engine? If I remember correctly you had some oil leaks?
ok, i'll go off topic for a moment ...

i still don't know for sure. the short block hasn't been disassembled yet. it was losing a quart of oil per tank. oil seeping out the #8 plug hole. big ole puff of blue smoke on startup. running like crap.

there were 2 "events". one time i was lined up next to a vette at a stop light. we both launched normally, not racing. then all of a sudden he goes WOT. for fun, i go WOT too and BAM! it felt like something gave way down low and there was a huge cloud of smoke. the engine shuddered. i let off immediately. check engine light. but after a few minutes of babying it, it seemed ok again. but i was worried so i took it easy for like a week. the 2nd time was a few weeks later when i was just trying to see if i could break the rear tires loose in 2nd gear. same thing ... bam, cloud, shudder, crap in pants. that was when it started losing oil. time to go back to n/a and build a 410.

back on topic ...

why the baby blue and silver theme? i think black and silver is much classier

and is that a pro products throttle body and elbow?

Got some info you might be interested in. Old motor NEVER leaked oil. The ORIGINAL motor was fitted with a KB at less than 5000 miles,and was rock solid dependable for about 70,000 miles. Ran great up until the end. About eight months ago ,while kicking the crap out of an AMG Mercedes, the old 1.5 froze up. Considering that this car had been in the same basic configuration for so many years,had done many car shows,and defended itself well on the street for so long,and the KB combination was EVERYTHING anyone could want in a street car,I decieded it was time for a whole new set-up. The original shortblock is still intact. Just decieded that it was time for the car to catch up to itself,and add some new technology. As for the KB running hot? Not if the tune is correct,and the necessary upgrades for ANY blower car are employed. One of the first things I did when first installed a KB was to upgrade the cooling system. New hoses,160 thermostat, and most important,a Griffen radiator. All that,and the fact that with the chip from KB that turned on the fan at a fairly low temp,served to creat a car that even during a California summer,WITH the air conditioner on,the car NEVER got hot. The point is,that its the TOTAL combination that makes a car like this successful,dependable,and fun to drive. As I have taken the same care with this combo as I did with the original setup,I fully expect this to be a non issue situation also. I have seen many blower cars, that have had issues. In my humble opinion,virtually all of the problems these cars had was due to a lack of planning regarding the TOTAL combination,or someone just beating the crap out of their cars. I have seen many centrifigal blowers broken,or frozen due to a lack of oil, poor maintinance,bad installs etc. It can happen to ANY of them. I am sure that there are horrer stories about EVERY blower out there. I can only relate truthfully about mine. Anyway,all that said {sorry to be so long winded} this is a TRUE street car. I expect that when all is said and done,the motor broken in,and then a good tune added to the mix,I fully expect this new combo to generate some very nice numbers,be just as dependable as the original combo,and to provide me with a HUGE amount of that grin factor we all crave. If I get anywhere near the miles of fun from this set-up that I got from the original set-up,I will be a happy camper. I think that any "hot rod" that gives you 70000 miles of trouble free fun is a successful "HOT ROD". Also,just for the record book. I raced a LOT of VERY hot cars with the old set-up.Saleens,Porsches,Vetts, M series BMW,s etc. The car stood up to all of them very well,and never missed a beat. This time around I hope to target some bigger game. We will see. I will post the first major encounter,win or lose. Also,when the "numbers" are in,I will let you all know. No bragging or excuses. Just the facts. I will also post some pics of the car itself {maybe tomorrow} just to see what you all think. I know that if there is something you guys dont like,you will have no problem in letting me know. Brian.

that is good news. i hope you have just as many great years with this new setup.

what i meant about running hot was not the engine temp, but the air charge temp ... the blower getting hot and heating up the air. that combined with the boost can make for some pretty hot air going into the cylinders. i have logs i took with my tweecer that show the act at 234* (the sensor was in the #5 runner). seems to me that is some pretty hot air

after i took the blower off, a guy checked it out and determined that the inlet manifold hadn't been sealed correctly when it was rebuilt just before i bought it. he said it it could have definately caused a vacuum leak and that may very well have been a factor in my problems.

the other thing is that i bought the car when it was 9 years old with 95,000 miles on it. i have no idea how the previous owner(s) cared for it.

Hi Blackvert. Understand what you were getting at. I have the ACT sensor in the # 5 runner also. While I have no way to measure the air charge temp,at least not at the present time, I dont think it will be a problem. The major assembly was done by Brian Shapiro at B&D racing,and he took extra care to ensure that there were no leaks of any kind.I have recently {yesterday} taken the car through a beautiful mountain road ,and in fact was playing with a bunch of guys on rice rockets. While I never boosted the car fully,I did see 5 lbs. That in itself was enough to put some distance on them {although,they did catch me in the twisties} and this went on for over 30 miles. At the end of the run {CIVILIZATION} they gave me a thumbs up,and I went my merry way. My temp gauge never approached the half way point,and there was no detonation. The car just flat responded to my every whim. Now,here is the info. During all this,I never went past 5500 rpms. Twisties, remember? This was a great excercise to break in the new motor. While I did all this,the car was filled with 5 gal of Race gas {109} and 10 gals of California crapo gas at 91. The MSD-6BTM was set to "2". All this was to safeguard the motor. Anyway,it was a lot of fun,the motor worked flawlessly,and it proved to me that this should be similar to my first KB experience,only more so. I cant wait to get this thing broken in and tuned. Should be very interesting. Brian.

yep, you are gonna have some fun. hopefully after i get my tranny issues worked out, i can start having some of my own fun. i ought to be able to put the smackdown on some rice boys myself.

can you fill in your signature with some of the info about your combo?

- chris

Good morning. Took a few pics early this morning,and I will post them now,or at least give it a shot. Unfortunatly,my camera skills are only fair,and I dont know how to insert more that 1 photo at a time. So I will post the pics 1 at a time. I will also try to fill in my signature info a bit later. Anyway,here go's. Brian.
DSCN1416.jpg