New Member, BBK Cam Covers and Oil

99nightmare

Apr 2, 2009
New member and need some help, I have a 99 Gt with BBK Cam Covers. I had them installed by a reputable shop that does very good work. When installing they had a time getting them to seal, they left the shop and they thought they were sealed, they are not. I have a tiny, tiny oil leak on the top near the intakes. After 150 miles there were a two small drops of oil and slight spatter on the edge of the intakes. As the car sees the occasional show I want to fix this. I have cams and intakes already so the covers will not come off the car anytime soon. Here is my proposal, Throughly clean the edge and the lip between the covers and the intakes and lay a good bead of black hi temp gasket maker down the line being careful that it remains as out of sight as possible. What do you think? I have bounced it off a couple of mechanic friends and they agree that this might be my only recourse as NO ONE want to take the covers off again, they were that big of a pain. Sorry fo the long post but looking for as may thoughts on this as I can get.

• Sponsors (?)

that would probably be your best bet. the only other thing i can think of is to unbolt the cover lift it a bit and put your rtv where it is leaking and put it back down. when i had mine off i used rtv under the gasket on the cover side so they would stay in place, all i did was bolt them down with no silicon on the gasket-head side. sealed up nicely.

good luck

BBK Covers look good but are too much of a PITA for me. Simpley un bolting them and slightly pulling them up then daping silicone on should do it for you. If you have enough room maybe a new gasket to put in. But I don't think you can get a new gasket in.