New member here with a 1965 mustang

65mustang65

Jul 25, 2019
Nevada
Hello there everyone. New to the site and hoping to get some help. I have a 1965 mustang coupe factory inline 6. The engine is beyond repair (hole in the cylinder wall). I have a '69 donor car that I have taken the 8" rear and going to rebuild it with 3.55 gears, the front spindles (V8), T5 transmission, and the springs. I want to have good fuel economy but still have some power when needed for merging or passing. So my question is should I put a built up inline 6 in it out of a '66 mustang or should I use the 351 block I have out of an '88 bronco and just build it stock? What would be my best option?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet
I'll move this over to the classic forums to get some advice on this project. It's been a long time since I fooled around with the first few generations, something tells that rear will be wider than the 65-6 rears, there may be an issue with the 69 spindle too, long ago and far away, can't find that file in my head anymore, anyway the members here can give up the secrets.

Welcome to stangnet
I'll move this over to the classic forums to get some advice on this project. It's been a long time since I fooled around with the first few generations, something tells that rear will be wider than the 65-6 rears, there may be an issue with the 69 spindle too, long ago and far away, can't find that file in my head anymore, anyway the members here can give up the secrets.

Thanks. I know it is a little wider but not much. Just have to relocate the spring perches.. I'm hoping I can get the information I need.

Reactions: 1 user
Explorer 8.8 has an off set center section. But I think they do have 31 spline carriers.
a mustang 8.8 would be a good choice, they do get wider with platform changes though with the fox being the smallest. Lots of parts support too.