New Member...no experience!

CtotheJ

Apr 22, 2019
Houston, TX
Hey everyone, I'm going to be doing a bit of restoration on my wife's '89 GT Convertible, but I'm not a mechanic by any means. I'm an IT guy by trade, but I feel pretty confident in my ability to follow instructions.

First order of business is the fuel pump that has died (about 95% sure that's the issue) so it won't start by normal means. The car has been sitting for about 6 years. I always remember when turning the ignition, you could hear a very audible whine/buzz from the trunk area, which I guess was the fuel pump doing it's thing. It no longer makes that noise; just a couple of clicks from the engine bay which I think is the fuel relay. I removed the air filter cover and shot some starter fluid into the intake while my wife turned the ignition and it will run as long as I spray fluid.

I've got a few other little things on my list like the little rear windows that don't roll up completely, brakes need to be looked at, drain and replace all fluids, and I'm planning on replacing all rubber bushings, hoses and belts. I suppose I'll do the weatherstripping if it bothers her.

All in all it's in great shape already even though everything is original. It's a 1 owner car that has lived in a garage for it's entire life and only has 78k miles. Never wrecked or raced at all.

I'm super excited to get it running again!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet, get over to the fox forums and post some pics of what your working with. the members are a talented bunch and are willing to share their knowledge, just remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers and I'm in charge of those,

Reactions: 1 user