ChubbyDragon

Jul 28, 2003
Houston, Tx
I've been reading this forum for quite a while but have posted only a couple of times a long time ago when I was searching for a mustang.

The first car I bought, when I was 16, was a '66 coupe with a straight six. It threw a piston rod halfway through college and I have been wanting another mustang ever since. This past July, I finally found one: a '66 coupe with a 289.

The PO bought it, put on the paint job and re-did the interior and sold it to me all in the span of about 3 or 4 months. He couldn't tell me anything about modification made to the engine, what kind a tranny was it, etc. So I have a bit of a "mystery machine". A couple of guys have told me it sounds like it has a non-stock cam.

I've replaced the inner and outer tie rods and the ball joints. My next big job is to replace the steering box -- probably with a new Flaming River box. The steering is still a bit sloppy and there is fluid/oil leaking from the bottom of the steering box(at the sector shaft? -- where it connects to the pitman arm)

I'm sure I will have numerous questions in the very near future as I progress with my new hobby. I knowI can make good use of the wealth of information present here.

Here are the requesite pictures that everybody likes:
Mustang_df.JPG

mustang_int_rear.JPG

Mustang_int_front.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Very nice! Welcome aboard and thanks for providing the pics right away. :D

Looks like you have a very nice coupe there. Does it still have a tag on the door with all the codes? What is the VIN? Just curious about what you have there.

I've always loved that blue/white Pony interior color combo. If you don't mind a little criticism, it looks to me like you are one set of Styled Steel wheels from having a real classy looker there. :nice:

Thanks for the compliments from everyone, although I cant' take any credit for someone else's work.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Looks like you have a very nice coupe there. Does it still have a tag on the door with all the codes? What is the VIN? Just curious about what you have there.

VIN = 6F07C223214 ==> 1966 coupe w/289 2v out of Dearborn
DataPlate codes
Body=65B -- Coupe with Pony Interior​
Color=R -- Ivy green Metallic​
Trim=68 -- Light Ivy Gold Metallic Crinkle Vinyl/White Crinkle Vinyl​
Date=13A -- Jan 13, 1966​
DSO=64 -- New Orleans​
Axle=6 -- 2.80:1 conventional​
Trans=1 -- 3spd manual​

some one replaced the 2v carb with a Holley 4v 750cfm, and Weiand Xcelerator Intake. The stock 3spd tranny has been swapped out for a 4speed of some sort with a Hurst shifter. And I think the rear-end has been changed out for 3.10, 3.25 or so. At 70 mph, I am spinning the engine right at 3000rpm with 215/60/14 tires.

I pulled off one of the 1/4 panel emblems and got a peek at the original paint color -- I may go back to the original body color someday. although, I am not too sure about that gold and white stock interior. That is still 2 - 3 years away, at least.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
...it looks to me like you are one set of Styled Steel wheels from having a real classy looker there. :nice:

I'm not crazy about the wheels on there now, and agree that some SS wheels would look great. I have also thought about Vintage 45's, Torque Thrusts, or Magnums. Some day.........

If you're turning 3 grand at 70 with those tires, your rear has got 3.08's or something really close to that. Your transmission should be either a Toploader 4 speed or a Borg-Warner T10. Nice car, but if it was me, I'd keep the wheels. A good cleaning of them with brillo or SOS pads will make em shine.

Great looking '66!

I feel your pain with the steering box. You can't do better than the Flaming River, and you might want to consider the Shelby Pitman Arm & Idler Arm, if you have manual steering. It will greatly enhance the steering.

Attachments

• MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 117
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 120