New motor mounts + Pro 5.0 shifter, now need to lower tranny at shifter

trbkrb

Founding Member
Jun 4, 2001
Houston, TX
I just replaced my clutch and also replaced my motor mounts which were gone with some vert ones. I put on a Pro 5.0 shifter base about a year ago, and did not have major problems, just a small bit of vibration/squeaking from the interior trim. Now, when I put it all back together, my Pro 5.0 shifter sticks up a bit too much into the car. The plastic console trim is bowed up and vibrates and moves with every movement of the transmission, so I need to lower the shifter section by about 1/2". It has a fairly new rubber parts store tranny mount that is in good shape.

Does anyone make a shorter tranny mount, or does anyone have some suggestions? I thought about trying to adjust the motor mounts, but I'm not sure if that would move the shifter down enough with the new motor mounts.

• Sponsors (?)

At least 6 times before. I've replaced the clutch 5 times and pulled the tranny for a rebuild once over the past 285,000+ miles.

I may just put the stock shifter back in place if I can't figure out a fix. I just started driving it again daily this week after two weeks off fixing the clutch and mounts. The old vert mounts have been going bad for at least a couple of years and the fan was hitting the shroud for the past 6-8 months. I sure like the sharpness of the Pro 5.0 shifter though!

I noticed how high my Pro 5.0 comes up through the floor but i don't have a console so that never occurred to me. You might look into getting a new trans mount, maybe you can find one that's thinner so the trans drops down some. Otherwise you *might* be able to use one of those billet shifter boot rings...they don't go into the boot as far as the stock plastic ring does and they might not hit the shifter.

:shrug: Hmmmm something definately doesnt sound right I have run pro 50 shifters in all my cars and never had that happen and i always replaced my mounts with vert ones... something is definately not lined up right. imo

Having same issue...........

Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I'm having the same issue......

The shifter is a little off center (forward) in the space in the console and\or a little too high to let the bezel sit flat. It hits the screw and nut for the shifter stop.

I put in new Vert motor mounts this winter and a parts store tranny mount a while back as well.

Has anyone found a solution............?

I put the shifter in last summer and the bezel was a problem right away but I had other things to deal with on the car and hoped that the motor mounts might help but nothing changed. It had the stock Hatchback mounts on it previously....

88 GT stock block with t-5.

tuning in for a resolution to this one. I switched to vert mounts and was fine with the stock shifter. then I put in an mgw shifter and I'm getting this problem. the right side of the bezel won't stay in place.