New Mustang - Little Probelm - Advice Appreciated

sparky99

Dec 18, 2003
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new 99 GT. So far its been a great car that seemingly had nothing wrong whatsoever. But recently I've had a problem -

When I bought the car it had an offroad x-pipe on it. The check engine light was on so I automatically assumed that it didnt have the MIL eliminators. A couple of days after getting it - I changed the oil in it and the light went off. So now I'm wondering if it did indeed have the MIL elimitors. I was wondering how I could look and find out if it does or doesnt have the MIL's

The bigger problem is that since the light has gone off - every so often when breaking for a stop sign or something of the sort, the car will die, at least, it has all the affects of a car dieing. It's a 5 speed and I know for a fact that i'm driving it properly, there is no questions about that. But the the car still seems to die as I break it and I have to restart and continue on my way.

What I'm really wondering is what could cause that.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

sparky99 said:
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new 99 GT. So far its been a great car that seemingly had nothing wrong whatsoever. But recently I've had a problem -

When I bought the car it had an offroad x-pipe on it. The check engine light was on so I automatically assumed that it didnt have the MIL eliminators. A couple of days after getting it - I changed the oil in it and the light went off. So now I'm wondering if it did indeed have the MIL elimitors. I was wondering how I could look and find out if it does or doesnt have the MIL's

The bigger problem is that since the light has gone off - every so often when breaking for a stop sign or something of the sort, the car will die, at least, it has all the affects of a car dieing. It's a 5 speed and I know for a fact that i'm driving it properly, there is no questions about that. But the the car still seems to die as I break it and I have to restart and continue on my way.

What I'm really wondering is what could cause that.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

MILs are an add on part between the O2 sensor and the harness. Look up www.brothersperformance.com and look them up to see a pic.

The dieing prob might be due to a dirty IAC (idle air control) valve. This is a common problem and I have already had mine replaced on my 03 at about 35k miles due to it getting dirty and affecting the check engine light.

You can at least take it off and clean it with chemtool. It's cheaper than ordering a new one.

Matt

See if you can get the codes pulled by pepboys (or someone similar) for a cheap price. Also, try disconnecting the battery for 10-20 minutes and then reconnect and see what happens. This should reset the computer.

I would try the reset before trying to get the codes pulled. IAC is definatley a candidate but sometimes the codes can show more definitely.

Bo

DC-GT said:
See if you can get the codes pulled by pepboys (or someone similar) for a cheap price. Also, try disconnecting the battery for 10-20 minutes and then reconnect and see what happens. This should reset the computer.

I would try the reset before trying to get the codes pulled. IAC is definatley a candidate but sometimes the codes can show more definitely.

Bo

Good advice as well. I have a friend with a garage that I can run down and pull codes using his handheld. I often forget to suggest this becuase I have such good access to this.

Sometimes the computer just adds to the frustration, but since your idle quality is poor, I would bet on the IAC.

matt