New & need help; Basic Questions

berbrick

Nov 16, 2008
Let me introduce myself, the name is Adam Berbrick. I am currently in Iraq as a Marine Corps infantryman, and I am the senior enlisted infantry advisor on my MiTT (military transition team). I am from Miami Florida and cant wait to get back. I have ahd my 05 GT since the last week of Nov 04. I have just started to do the mod thing because someone decided to run a stop sign. I got a steeda front fascia and hood and the ducktail for the rearend. Like I said I am new at the modding thing so I have nothing done mechanical wise. The first question is what size rims 18 or 20, i plan on putting 10 in the back and 8-9 in the front. The car is white with some black accents here and there. But it looks retarded bc of the stock rims. Also I dont like chrome I was looking at either black or hypercoated. Also either the black shelby razors 20x9 all around or the FR500 18x8-10 hypercoated. I am just affraid that 20's will look to big. please let me know what you think.

• Sponsors (?)

Let me introduce myself, the name is Adam Berbrick. I am currently in Iraq as a Marine Corps infantryman, and I am the senior enlisted infantry advisor on my MiTT (military transition team). I am from Miami Florida and cant wait to get back. I have ahd my 05 GT since the last week of Nov 04. I have just started to do the mod thing because someone decided to run a stop sign. I got a steeda front fascia and hood and the ducktail for the rearend. Like I said I am new at the modding thing so I have nothing done mechanical wise. The first question is what size rims 18 or 20, i plan on putting 10 in the back and 8-9 in the front. The car is white with some black accents here and there. But it looks retarded bc of the stock rims. Also I dont like chrome I was looking at either black or hypercoated. Also either the black shelby razors 20x9 all around or the FR500 18x8-10 hypercoated. I am just affraid that 20's will look to big. please let me know what you think.

FIrst of all welcome onboard marine! :flag:

Let's get down to businss. 20 inch wheels are more of a styling element then a functional one. I pesonally would go 18 as they are lighter an give you a better choice of tire size then the 20 inch. As far as FR500s are concerned I have the black chrome setup which is the best of both worlds when it comes to having chrome/black. I have to tell you though that FR500s do not allow for big brake packages as the clearance is too tight.

That is definitely something worth considering when you make your final selection.

Hey Adam, welcome to the forum. :flag:

I would agree with walter on the size of your rims. You might be surprised at how bad-ass you can look with proper tire choice instead of rim choice. Some monster rear tires can really look good, in a different way than big rims. Check these out:

http://forums.stangnet.com/750065-more-old-school.html

http://forums.stangnet.com/741729-finally-got-new-wheels-lots-pics.html

I think the problem with big rims is that you then have to get thin sidewall tires, which may look good on a M3 or 350Z, but somehow dont work on a Mustang. If you do go with big rims and thin sidewalls, you then should invest in a lowering kit to complete the look, and that can be several thousands of dollars more. So... your going down a rout that could be very costly by the time you get your car looking how you want. Then again... Miami is a different culture than where I live (Denver). I can see how 20x9s would appear normal to even moderate on the streets of Miami. ;)

Also, if your getting into modding, first thing that should be done is a tuner and Cold Air Intake. Tons o' fun. Also a short shifter. Also a axleback and possibly a midpipe... etc. etc. etc...

thanks for nice welcome

i have been trying to find pictures and look at other people's cars on this forum to see what i like. i diff. want something functional so ill probably go with something that is....ive been trying to use steeda as much as possible for anything and everything i do to the vehicle because they are only about an hour away from the house.

two reasons why i am getting rims
1-with what the car has done to it (bc of accident and all exterior parts were free)
IMO the car doesnt look right with stock rims and the new parts.
2-the rims are free(Christmas/Coming home/this person the is buying them doesn't like the stock rims either w/the new parts.

so i diff. want functional bc i will go bigger brakes
color-i dont like chrome but what will look good on a white car-black maybe?

Welcome man! I also am in Iraq right now but just under 30 days left for me! I am going with 18's when I get my new rims. I don't think 20's look too big, just not my style. Also, cai and tune is a must. Even gives better gas mileage, if you can keep your foot out of it! More power, less gas, what more can you ask for! Stay safe man.:flag:

Welcome to :SNSign: and thanks for serving our country:flag::rock:

20s aren't too big for the S197. You could get 20s a decent size tire, even one slightly taller than stock in the back and still be able to drop it an 1" to take up the gap:nice: That will also allow for larger brakes later. The tune/CAI is a must as it will gain you 20-30 RWHP depending on what setup you get and will allow for all kinds of future mods. As far as wheel color, just about any dark wheel should be fine. Most companies make the same wheel in 18 and 20.