New Owner 2.8l Head Question

'63 Murphy

Nov 24, 2015
Hello all! I picked up a 1974 MII project that someone else wasn't going to finish, and I am cleaning up the 2.8L that came with.

After pulling the valve covers and finding some 'significant' build-up of oil/dirt, I began to clear out the oil runners in the head. One side dumps into a pushrod hole, but the other side was filled and clogged.

I dug it out, but bottomed out at the block. The hole goes a bit sideways, and appears to have a slot in one side. All I can see is a manifold bolt in there...

Should it be clear for oil to flow back into the pan? Is it worth pulling the heads to make sure it is clear?

Thanks!

22651900243_3458c5bbaf_c.jpg

23196389441_dee67af996_c.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Any time I'm dealing with an engine that has been sludged, I always prefer to tear it down to at least the short block for cleaning.

The pictures you've posted don't make things look that bad, but I have no idea how much cleaning you've done.

Any time I'm dealing with an engine that has been sludged, I always prefer to tear it down to at least the short block for cleaning.

The pictures you've posted don't make things look that bad, but I have no idea how much cleaning you've done.

I was thinking button it up and run until it croaked and put in a late model engine/trans combo. It was a runner, but I do not want an oil flow issue ending it's life early. It's pretty cruddy, and I may as well since it's on the stand.

If I pull them, they'll go in for seats, guides and springs.

I also don't have experience tearing down or rebuilding the 2.8, but generally the oil return holes are toward the bottom of the heads since oil will flow downhill. I dunno what this hole is really meant to do, something for crankcase pressure maybe?

I have my 2.8 tore down at the moment.
I only have the heads here at the moment as the block is at the machine shop.

Here's what mine looks like.

head.jpg

Definitely clear.
And I haven't touched or cleaned this up at all.