new owner - exhaust question

s1lver19

Feb 16, 2004
Just picked up my first mustang (2002 black v6, 19,000 miles).

I'm new to the stang world, looking to upgrade the stock exhaust. Just want to keep it single, nothing fancy.

Recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

s1lver19 said:
Just picked up my first mustang (2002 black v6, 19,000 miles).

I'm new to the stang world, looking to upgrade the stock exhaust. Just want to keep it single, nothing fancy.

Recommendations?

Well with those as your qualifications, you have several options, all of which are get a new muffler, unless of course you want to get custom exhaust and leave it single which would make no sense.

Anyway, opinions vary on the kind of muffler to get, so just look around for exhaust clips and prices to see what you like best.

I'd reccomend just grab yourself a set of GT Take-off's....they sound good, and flow fairly well. The 02 has an improved induction and exhaust controller, so if you've heard an 01 or prior with GT Stock exhaust and werent happy, you will be pleasntly suprised with the difference. My 02 with the regular exhaust was louder than my friends 98 with the H pipe and flowmasters...but you should be happy with those. And they're fairly cheap. http://www.stangparts.com/home.cfm?section=products/index second to the bottm are the ones you'l lwant.

I'd reccomend just grab yourself a set of GT Take-off's....they sound good, and flow fairly well. The 02 has an improved induction and exhaust controller, so if you've heard an 01 or prior with GT Stock exhaust and werent happy, you will be pleasntly suprised with the difference. My 02 with the regular exhaust was louder than my friends 98 with the H pipe and flowmasters...but you should be happy with those. And they're fairly cheap.

Yeah those look good.

Is there anything else I need for the installation or just that kit?

I actually have about $800 to blow.

Buy some Gt takeoffs, two aftermarket mufflers of your choice, and take the parts to a good shop. Have them cut your Y-pipe after the cats and weld the takeoffs and mufflers. No need for an X or H pipe for our cars it's a waist of money. Hope this helps.

s1lver19 said:
Ok, so what parts exactly do I need to convert to dual?

Yeah, sorry for the noobness...

Tell you what I did. I had my stock underpipe swapped out for stainless and went with a true dual setup. I slapped on dual Flowmaster mufflers and two chrome tips. It sounds great, looks great, and only ran me $395 installed. Be careful who installs your stuff though because many shops really try to mess you over on exhaust installs. And everyone's right, no need for the x pipe. :nice:

hi,

i also have a V6 stang. year is 2002. i just got the bassani SS series cat back system for mine as well. i was thinking of installing it myself because they seem rather easy to hook up. seems bassani has supplied the kit with the easiest installation available for a catback system. for anyone with experience doing this, how hard is it actually? i know you must cut the pipes AFTER the cat's and before the muffs, but how far after the cats should the pipes be cut?

other than DIY for this, what shops if any do you guys reccomend for the install? i live in columbus ohio, so if anyone is near here and knows of a quality shop that will do good work, please lemme know.

thanks!

Nate