New Pony Car Joining My Stable!

No, I can not seem to find any archived articles of it as it was printed in a magazine. But here is what the jest of it said as I was able to find an article about how the SN95 came about and the 3 renderings of the sculptor models. But in the article as I recall it, it had a few more renderings that brought forth the current look of the mustang. I will keep looking for the other renderings that brought the idea of the modern mustangs.

The 1994 model year marked the beginning of the fourth generation of Mustangs. After 15 years of the same “Fox”
platform, enthusiasts were ready for an all-new look and feel. And Ford was anxious to give them what they wanted. “It was a
do-or-die situation for Mustang at the time,” recalled William Boddie, then Ford’s program manager for small- and mid-size
cars. “A lot of people at Ford thought we wouldn’t make enough money with the Mustang, and they thought we ought to kill it.
This was going to be our chance to prove them wrong.” Boddie says the team’s vision was clear. “Our goal was to create a
vehicle that would be recognizable as a Mustang, even without the badging,” he said. “It had to have traditional Mustang attributes, such as the three-box design, the long hood and the cockpit-like interior. And it had to symbolize power.”
With little time – 36 months – and limited resources, Boddie organized a team of 200 enthusiasts from various areas within
the company. Since space at Ford was limited at the time, the team met in an off-site warehouse. “We created a competition
within the design studio to see who could come up with a car that best represented the image of the Mustang,” said Boddie.
“The idea was to let the creative people see what they could do to maintain the pony car heritage yet still make the vehicle a bit
more modern.”

The designers came up with three different mock-ups, and they nicknamed them “Bruce Jenner” (after the Olympic athlete),
“Rambo” (after Sylvester Stallone’s movie character) and “Arnold Schwarzenegger” (after the muscular movie star, now
governor of California. “Rambo was the most far out design. It looked like a snorting bull,” checked Boddie. “The ‘Bruce
Jenner’ Mustang was the most refined, and the ‘Arnold Schwarzenegger’ model was in between the two. That was the one that
we chose.”

All three included what execs pegged as must haves for the new model: side scoops, triple-element taillights, and the recognizable notchback design.The most pedestrian of the bunch, the Bruce Jenner (below), didn’t do much to excite those included in secret consumer test-clinics nor the higher-ups at the Blue Oval. Project manager Bud Magaldi remembers the design’s critiques as “too smooth, too clean and friendly,” which isn’t exactly a good jumping-off point for a hard-charging muscle car. Remember, this was Ford’s aero age that brought forth the Taurus fishbowl.

This is the Bruce Jenner sculted model:
mustang-jenner.jpg

On the flipside, the Rambo (below), which featured snarling front effects, took the design too far, though we’ve taken a strange liking to it. Magaldi described the car as a “Batmobile-type thing, very aggressive and gutsy and dramatic like a Stealth Bomber.”

This is the Rambo sculted model:
mustang-rambo.jpg

That left it up to the middle-of-the-road Schwarzenegger concept (below) to make the production cut, with only minor changes made. Odd, we don’t think Arnold has ever been thought of as middle-of-the-road.

This is the Scwarzenegger model:
mustang-schwarzenegger.jpg

The design they chose was reminiscent of the vintage pony cars, yet modern enough to suit the changing tastes of auto
enthusiasts. Its code name was SN95, and though its platform was a derivative of the Fox introduced in 1979, there was little
resemblance between the two; 1,330 of the vehicle’s 1,850 parts had been changed. The galloping pony emblem returned to the
Bullitt – made its debut in 2001. The vehicle was an instant success, spawning special Bullitt fan clubs across the country.
The 2003 model year was a memorable one for Ford performance fans, as the Mach 1 nameplate returned to the Mustang
lineup, complete with a hot V-8 and functional “Shaker” hood scoop. But the era’s benchmark car was SVT’s newest Mustang
Cobra. Nicknamed “The Terminator,” this new Mustang performance flagship featured a beefed-up twin-cam 4.6-liter V-8
topped with a supercharger to produce a torque-laden 390 horsepower. It left an exclamation point on the fourth-generation
Mustang, ensuring that the SN95 platform would go out in a blaze of glory.

84Ttop, I did not mean to interupt your thread with this stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

The only bad thing I have heard so far was on AM video stating that Ford went back to integrating the upper cats into the exhaust manifolds. So if you have a bad cat, you have to replace the whole exh manifold assy. They did that on the Mark VIII's as I just sold my tricked out 97 and that sucked as Kooks was the only manufacturer that made aftermarket headers for the car.

Yeah, I remember that issue. It was the same one they showed renderings of the Mustang Mach III concept if I recall correctly?

mach3.jpg

Regarding the GT models......looks like Arnold beat out Bruce and Sly on that one.

The only bad thing I have heard so far was on AM video stating that Ford went back to integrating the upper cats into the exhaust manifolds. So if you have a bad cat, you have to replace the whole exh manifold assy. They did that on the Mark VIII's as I just sold my tricked out 97 and that sucked as Kooks was the only manufacturer that made aftermarket headers for the car.

Yep....and they were spendy. Bought a set of Kooks Ceramic coated Mid-Lengths for my XR7 MN12 back in the day and after shipping, taxes and brokerage fee's, they ran me nearly $1,400 by the time I got them to my door.

Do you remember the "A-R-T" (Accelerated Race Technologies) exhaust systems one guy sold for the Lincoln's and MN12's. Those were pretty sweet. He ended up going tits up and I had to build my own. Took me almost a week. lol

Attachments

• mach3.jpg
    mach3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Yeah, I remember that issue. It was the same one they showed renderings of the Mustang Mach III concept if I recall correctly?

mach3.jpg

Regarding the GT models......looks like Arnold beat out Bruce and Sly on that one.

Yep....and they were spendy. Bought a set of Kooks Ceramic coated Mid-Lengths for my XR7 MN12 back in the day and after shipping, taxes and brokerage fee's, they ran me nearly $1,400 by the time I got them to my door.

Do you remember the "A-R-T" (Accelerated Race Technologies) exhaust systems on guy sold for the Lincoln's and MN12's. Those were pretty sweet. He ended up going tits up and I had to build my own. Took me almost a week. lol

Dear Ford,

SHIP MY CAR!!! I know it's done... Don't make me fly out to Michigan to pick it up!

Rant over

p.s. That Mach III concept is hideous.

p.s. That Mach III concept is hideous.

That sir.....was the mid-90's.

Besides....I've seen some pretty awful renditions of the '15 proposed over the last couple of years as well.

...we can just thank the stars than none of these cars ever made it into production.

Some concept cars were pretty bad ass though. If the Ford GT90 ever made it into production, it would have been way ahead of it's time.

Pretty crazy when you consider this was 1995.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ford...d=0CDkQyjc&ei=PiAXVK7rI8aiyASGwoCoBw#imgdii=_

Just gonna trash that warranty, right of the bat, huh? lol
What warranty? Hahaha
It will go to the track the day we pick it up from the dealer (weather permitting) and that's just the start of things. Dyno, blower, exhaust, converter all right off the bat. If we break the motor it will get an aluminator. I'm working with Gforce to get a set of axles now before we break those too. 9's or bust!

Provided this statement was true:
" local Ford dealer and they gave me August 25th for the expected build date "
And my experience ordering my 14:

" Blend date - 13 Aug. 2013
@ shipping - 19 Aug. 2013
CSX rail yard Twin Oaks Pa. - 8-28
Dealership - 8-30 "
....................................You should've had the car by now !!

I can't decide on which color to pick for my car. It's either the Guard or the Deep Impact blue. This is going to be a long winter with a lot of long hour workdays. But I'm sure it will be worth it. Best of luck to you on your new pony.

Reactions: 1 user
Provided this statement was true:
" local Ford dealer and they gave me August 25th for the expected build date "
And my experience ordering my 14:

" Blend date - 13 Aug. 2013
@ shipping - 19 Aug. 2013
CSX rail yard Twin Oaks Pa. - 8-28
Dealership - 8-30 "
....................................You should've had the car by now !!
I feel the same way! It will likely show up next week while I'm away on vacation lol

October 14th......................what up? No car yet? I am getting tired of waiting on you. I have questions I need answered. Lets get with it now OK? :D
Please refer to the "crash testing my 2015" thread.... I'm hoping to have my car by the end of the month. Rather disappointed in the whole experience personally. This will all be netter once I get behind the wheel