New Problems with 347 build

coolblue65

Founding Member
Jul 26, 1999
Algonquin, IL
This afternoon I spent a few hours in the garage and ended up not getting very far.

First I put on the fuel pump eccentric, then went to put on my early style timing chain cover and to my surprise, the cover hits the eccentric! Clearly something is different here...either the timing chain gear or the 5.0 block.

So do I need to run a late model timing cover? or is there a different eccentric I can use that that will allow the cover to fit? I guess my last option would be to ditch the mechanical fuel pump all together and switch to an electric pump, thereby eliminating the first two questions.

So after messing around with that for awhile I decided to flip the motor over and work on the oil pump and pan....to my surprise the oil pan doesn't fit with the main support system! :bang: I recall someone talking about pan that would clear a main support a while back, but I can't seem to remember who or find that thread, anyone know?

Its one thing after another.

• Sponsors (?)

This afternoon I spent a few hours in the garage and ended up not getting very far.

First I put on the fuel pump eccentric, then went to put on my early style timing chain cover and to my surprise, the cover hits the eccentric! Clearly something is different here...either the timing chain gear or the 5.0 block.

So do I need to run a late model timing cover? or is there a different eccentric I can use that that will allow the cover to fit? I guess my last option would be to ditch the mechanical fuel pump all together and switch to an electric pump, thereby eliminating the first two questions.

So after messing around with that for awhile I decided to flip the motor over and work on the oil pump and pan....to my surprise the oil pan doesn't fit with the main support system! :bang: I recall someone talking about pan that would clear a main support a while back, but I can't seem to remember who or find that thread, anyone know?

Its one thing after another.
Here we go again. I was the culprit looking for a front sump pan to replace the O.E. pan and clear the girdle. Bought a 9qt pan on ebay. Seller was "cokenlord". Fit my 331 in the 77 Comet perfectly. Cost me $90 with shipping. Included the pickup tube. I used the late 5.0 1pc gasket and the pan rail stiffeners to bolt it down. I just plumbed a low pressure electric pump into the Comet. Bought it at the local Advance Auto Parts for $40. I have a similar sized one on my 89 Ranger (low pressure 30 gal/hr) made by Purolator. It's dine the job for 5 years now and fed my 331 with it's three Holley 2 bbls in full power runs for several minutes (3am on a dark lonely highway at 140mph)

K

Sorry to hear of the struggles with the new bullet. Canton front sump 7 quart did the trick for me, you'll have to get the right pick up as well to go with it.

Fuel pump is up to you, personally I'd go wth an electric but there are plenty of mechanical that will do the trick as well.

Good luck!

Pics of the pan in the Comet here: http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/baddad457/ The engine bay is a dead ringer for the early Stangs

Here is what I found on ebay, its a different seller (as the one you mentioned has no Ford pans listed right now) but its probably the same pan:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230130115960&rd=1&rd=1

Now what do I need to know about running an electric fuel pump, any does or dont's?

Here is what I found on ebay, its a different seller (as the one you mentioned has no Ford pans listed right now) but its probably the same pan:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230130115960&rd=1&rd=1

Now what do I need to know about running an electric fuel pump, any does or dont's?

It's not easy to spot from the pics they used, but that looks like the same pan. The contact point on mine was the rear main studs, the pan needs more clearance there. If you'll look closely, the rear wall drops straight down where the stock pan makes a shallow curve shortly above the rear pan gasket radius. An over head pics would tell you for certain, with the right pan, the extra room is plain to see that way. Run a regulator with the Holley Red you talked about. It's really too big a pump for carbed applications. You don't need mega flow or pressure for a carb, not even for multiple carbs. The 30 gal/hr pump I used on the Ranger was enough for three carbs at WOT.

DHearne- Do know what car that fuel pump came off of? I can't just go there and ask for help -last time I walked in the local auto parts store I asked if they had engine lift plates, the girl asked what year and model! Not to bright around here.

Mr. Gasket part number 12S, they had it hanging on the wall behind the counter with the carb stuff. So far I don't have a regulator but I will install that when I get time, but it's worked fine so far. I took the steel line loose forward of the rearend and cut it, bent to shape, mounted the pump on the inside frame rail (this is going to be primarily a strip car, so I'm not concerned with road rash) and used fuel hose to plumb it. It's about the same size pump as the Purolator pump I used on the Ranger, I would have used that again, but they don't stock it anymore.