New project, 1995 Cobra

CJMcLean

Founding Member
Jul 26, 2000
Houston, TX, USA
Hi all, long time no post.

I just purchased a 1995 Rio Red Cobra, 104,000 miles - mere sum of $4500. I thought it was a good deal : Bone stock with the exception of a shifter, x-pipe and mufflers.

I am the third owner - the second owner had it for 7 years, and only put 20,000 miles on it.

When I picked it up - how about that purple tint?

sl371299.jpg

After compounding & a couple of coats of cleaner wax, sorry for the crummy pictures:

sl371287r.jpg

sl371289.jpg

Leather is pretty chewed up:

sl371288.jpg

Pretty much bone stock , got to love the mis-routed spark plug wire:

sl371294.jpg

Non-cobra headlights:

sl371295.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

So, right now the plan is to basically restore it to OEM condition. I really don't want to tear it up because it's in really good shape, and we already have the 2008 GT/CS for a modding car.

Interior plans:

1) Dynomat the inside, install black carpet. Have the seats redone in black leather with saddle tan inserts & cobra logo on headrest.

2) Install the LED lights in the gauge & HVAC cluster

3) Add kicking stereo

4) Re-place both the window motors & door locks

Exterior Plans:

1) Use 96-98 cobra rear bumper & hood

2) re-paint factory color

3) re-finish the stock wheels

4) rebuild the calipers & install slotted rotors with new brakes

Engine mods:

1) Have heads & intake port & polished

2) Add slightly larger cam

3) long tube headers & full exhaust

I'm open to suggestions - I am really trying to not mod the hell out of this car, but it is getting difficult now!

Looking good so far. Engine bay looks MUCH better, especially with red spark plug wires. The LED's in the cluster will look SWEET, I have white in my Cobra clone and the instrumentation is a nice bright blue. One minor note - unless you're a time traveler, your camera has the wrong year set (it's not 2007).

Does the Cobra have the Mach 460? If so, you can get some excellent sound out of it by replacing the head unit with an aftermarket one, and putting sound insulation in the doors. The stock head unit drops the bass and ups the treble, so it sounds all tinny and horrible. You can buy a harness adapter, which you can splice into the aftermarket wiring harness. Order a Metra 70-5514 harness, it is an exact match for the Mach 460. I have it on my Mach 460 in both my GT and Cobra clone. $15 from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Metra 70-5514 Radio Wiring Harness Amp Bypass System: Electronics

The sound insulation eliminates most )if not all) the mid-range muddiness folks complain about. It's all caused by sound echoing in the doors. Dynomat or Cascade Audio Engineering sound insulation does wonders, I use CAE on both my 'Stangs.

Update:

Replaced the odometer gears and added the LED lights to cluster and HVAC controls. My only gripe is that the clock doesn't match!

Having four 255/45/17 Nitto 555 put on tomorrow, I'm going to keep the stock wheels. Also ordering this week:

ACC carpet
ACC floormats
New shifter boot and knob
Magnapack catback

Pics to follow