New Project Car

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Look at me,......asking what something should cost like a newb.

Have an opportunity to buy from the lot a 91 GT.
Car is in pretty rough shape, but the body seems solid. Glass is good. Interior is beat, but all there. hinges are trash, door panels are shot. Drivers seat looks like it's sporting the gangsta lean, and is worn through on the bottom seat bolster. It has a carb'd, iron headed 5.0 that will not start, but will turn over. 5 speed trans, 8.8 " rear, rolling on god awful 14" draglites.Has a "too big" 3" cowl hinged fiberglass hood.

Will cost me 1246.00. For my 19 yr old.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

stopped reading at carb'd. fck carbs.

618px-Trollface_HD.png

Reactions: 2 users
:lol: :lol:

Don't do it Mike. It's cheaper to buy a nice car than to fix everything on a trash one...

...and I just remembered who I'm talking to..

I would probably pass as well Mike. Not sure if I would want to put my son in something as beat as that car sounds. I would personally rather spend twice as much on something that at least runs and has a half an interior.

Is this a father son project or something he's going to drive daily? - if it's a DD I would pass - spend some extra $$ and get something decent - when my younger brother turned 16 our old man went cheap on a 89 GT for him - my brother blew through (3) transmissions / top end motor rebuild / painted it etc etc ....in the end, at that time, he could of bought him a near new 92/93 for the $$ he spent - like I told him in the first place....

Ok, here is my serious reply. I picked up my running and driving fox for 1100. It needed a lot of restoration and I didn't have 6K all at once to buy a nice one. So I got this one and gradually put money into it. It's still not done, as most of these cars are never finished. But it was a fun project and I know the ins and outs of this car and was a good learning experience.

So this car you're looking at buying may be a fun project for you and your son. And it won't hurt your wallet so much if you have self control and gradually buy and fix stuff on it. :)

Here is what mine transformed from:

2011-06-05_16-11-59_493.jpg

IMG00015-20110518-1837.jpg

2011-09-16_18-50-27_510.jpg

0408122028c.jpg

0617121113b.jpg

0621121715a.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, here is my serious reply. I picked up my running and driving fox for 1100. It needed a lot of restoration and I didn't have 6K all at once to buy a nice one. So I got this one and gradually put money into it. It's still not done, as most of these cars are never finished. But it was a fun project and I know the ins and outs of this car and was a good learning experience.

So this car you're looking at buying may be a fun project for you and your son. And it won't hurt your wallet so much if you have self control and gradually buy and fix stuff on it. :)

Here is what mine transformed from
IMG00015-20110518-1837.jpg

0408122028c.jpg
What did you do with your A/C?

From experience, you will have a lot of money in that car to get it back into shape. Interior restoration will run between 800-2000 if it is really ratty. Needs to be EFI for sure if it is DD. The miscellaneous stuff will cost you as well. The braking system was totally wasted on my 93 LX and even doing it myself it still cost me around 500 in parts for new hoses, calipers, wheel cylinders, discs and drums, etc.

Really, it is whatever you want to do and feel comfortable spending. I just wouldn't go into it thinking it will be a cheap DD for your kid.

Wow,....appreciate all of the replies,...but clearly there is a propensity here that "don't know me very well" do they?

I'd be willing to bet, that the car could be reliable w/ 2 k more added to the base price. (provided that the mechanicals aren't broke)
I realize that it'll be no sweetie, but what 3500.00 91 GT is?

For the record:

jsw81; 91TwighlightGT;@Gearbanger 101;
A carb makes it all the better, given it's obvious condition. This way I wont be plagued w/ a never ending stream of sensor based EFI issues. Put a carb, and an H.E.I. on a 5.0,...and it'll be running in an hour. If it was a non=running E.F.I car, it'd sit unrunning for a week, ( but more probably forever) and a buttload of cash.
It will be a DD,...as is mine with a carb (imagine that?) and,...BTW,..I'd consider a Focus only as an alternative to walking.

I paid a similar amount of money for my current car,...w/ the only difference to this one being it was a smoking 4cyl LX car, and all of the same conditions as described above existed here,....so as far as whether or not there is anything that lurks under the skin that can't be fixed,.....I'm not too worried about it.
I do hear you all though, ...........and given that we all dump a bunch of money into these cars only to unload them for half the investment when we decide to sell doesn't fall on deaf ears.
If it was for me,...and I was starting another one of my "projects" I wouldn't have asked,....I'd just do it. But it's not.
It has to be decent, reliable, and safe and complete in a very short time.

I'll probably let it go,...depends on what it looks like Monday after I get it up on a rack.

What's wrong with a carb?? Would I take my EFI Fox from EFI to carb? NO. But imagine this, almost every car built before 1986 had one. :jaw: You can make them start on a cold day, run, and drive nice. It's nice in fact to have a tach actually drop in between shifts!