*New Purchases* + Questions and Opinions welcome!

Are you planning on running those beehive valve springs. You might want to get some better ones if those aren't the larger of the 2 that Comp cams makes. Some blower cams with a 114 lsa would be a complement.

Nice find on the parts. I'm going with the Trick Flow heads with the 38cc CC and maybe an edelbrock intake to top it off.
I'd keep the beehive springs with a stage II blower cam if i went the TVS route. I think I should be fine as long as I stay under 7krpms:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

With alot of boost, valve float might be a problem. I've always been under the impression that the comp beehive springs weren't that strong. I found out not long ago that comp makes 2 different springs. Most people recommend the larger ones for big boost or big cams.

With alot of boost, valve float might be a problem. I've always been under the impression that the comp beehive springs weren't that strong. I found out not long ago that comp makes 2 different springs. Most people recommend the larger ones for big boost or big cams.
Stage II blower cams are as mild as it gets, similar to my stage 1's just tailored to boost and help PD blowers a lot. But i will be peaking some high boost numbers a few times in this process, so i'll consider it.

Bought today:

Speed Pro main bearings:
FM-7289M-STD_LRG.jpg

And ARP Mainstuds:
256-5801.jpg

Man, I know it's a little late but this just popped into my mind...

Store that crank upright, and not laying down!!! I'm sure you know that and just took the pics with it laying down, but just in case...:nice:

Store that crank upright, and not laying down!!! I'm sure you know that and just took the pics with it laying down, but just in case...:nice:
Just curious, why is that?

Also, Cobra red that looks great! You have way more patience then me :rlaugh: I wouldnt be so patient and would HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW!! :rlaugh:

Yeah, my crank is at MMR - so I assume that's what they are doing. I have a crank right now though that I'm selling, but it wont stand on the flywheel bolt end. It teeters over, she's pretty though:
Picture17115286.jpg

Picture17115295.jpg

Very Nice Man!!!! This will compensate that nice 4R70W Well!
Compensate? You'd better mean compliment!:mad:

:p

J
Also, Cobra red that looks great! You have way more patience then me :rlaugh: I wouldnt be so patient and would HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW!! :rlaugh:
Yeah, I wait for deals and build slow. Will do the forced induction part the same way. I've saved over $1700 doing it my way over buying all the parts together as a shortblock including high volume oil pump and arp mainstuds ect.

Attachments

• Picture17115286.jpg
    Picture17115286.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture17115295.jpg
    Picture17115295.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 64
Just curious, why is that?

The way I understand it is, with the crank laying on it's side, the counterweights over time could potentially cause the crank to bend or bow. Sitting upright the weights aren't sagging on it like that.

When the crank is in the motor of course it is supported by the main caps.

Yeah, my crank is at MMR - so I assume that's what they are doing. I have a crank right now though that I'm selling, but it wont stand on the flywheel bolt end. It teeters over, she's pretty though:
Picture17115286.jpg

Picture17115295.jpg

Yep, I am sure its in great hands...:nice:

Attachments

• Picture17115286.jpg
    Picture17115286.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture17115295.jpg
    Picture17115295.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 81
The way I understand it is, with the crank laying on it's side, the counterweights over time could potentially cause the crank to bend or bow. Sitting upright the weights aren't sagging on it like that.

I have it upright leaning against a box:p
Am polishing a upper 99/01 cobra intake manifold now too, projects are fun.

So then sitting upright wouldnt it put greater force on the lower lobes and cause more of a chance of bending the end of the crank its sitting on?

If you look at the last lobe all the weight would be pushing on it and close the gap for the end two cylinders, no?

So then sitting upright wouldnt it put greater force on the lower lobes and cause more of a chance of bending the end of the crank its sitting on?

If you look at the last lobe all the weight would be pushing on it and close the gap for the end two cylinders, no?

I get what you are saying and it makes sense, but I really don't have the answer to that to be honest with you.

Just passing along what I have been told a few times...:D

I believe its balanced enough so that no more weigh is applied on the open journal-less end than at the journal bridged end. If you go to a place that rem-mans cranks you'll see whole floors of cranks standing on end shrink wrapped. The point is also to not have the counterweighs being layed on anything, they aren't really supposed to ever touch anything but oil in use.

Ordered today:
Double Torque plate bore and hone
Balancing
.020 Speed Pro Rings
MMR side Bolts
Clevite rod bearings (anyone prefer Speed-pro for a reason?)

I must say despite all the negative stuff that goes around about MMR, they are a pleasure to work with. Not only will they literally go down the list and see what items they can discount for you and leave you paying less than their already low quote, they'll candidly talk with you about your build, what you're going to do, literally who's going to build your engine/do the work and what he does outside MMR. Great cusomter serivice.

All the parts are done for 4.7liter (technically) shortblock!

Teh List
Double Torque plate bore and honed .20 over Iron block
Forged cobra crank/micro-polished
.20 over Manley 18CC Pistons
Manley H-beam rods and ARP rod bolts
Rotating assembly Balancing
.020 over Speed Pro Rings
Speed Pro main bearings
Clevite rod bearings
MMR side Bolts
ARP Mainstuds