New question regarding oil slinger

Okay so I used the search tool and found quite a few posts with opinions of whether the oil slinger is needed. I read all of them and I have a different somewhat embarrassing issue(quick note, I would have posted on one of those threads but they were all 5+ years old). During short block rebuild of my '67 289 my dad advised(from memory) I put the oil slinger on then the timing chain. Recently I finally found time to finish the build and this time bought a manual only to find picture and instruction that this thing has to be in front of the timing chain. This of course discovered after the timing chain cover and damper is on:fuss:

So I need advice, people are almost 50/50 on this oil slinger "need"!!!!
Also in case the info will help I have a correct year replacement tc cover from NPD...
Thanks for any help or advice,
Clint

• Sponsors (?)

If you already have the oil slinger, then I suggest using it - but of course install it properly. I didn't have one and couldn't locate one when I did my build so I am not running with one. Hard to say if there are any negative effects since I probably have ~1,500 miles on the motor and haven't removed the timing cover to take a look. But if it were me, I would use the slinger.

Thx for the input

Lol yeah I finally took a step back and told myself going a little bit backwards and having it done right is better than trying to get this build done in a hurry. End up fixing it in about 2 hrs and change last night, had the car since I turned 16 ten years ago and it hasn't been running very much for that time span, safe to say I'm anxious. Thanks again for the inputs