"New" rear quarter glass for the coupe

Stever89

5 Year Member
Dec 14, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Got some used quarter glass a few months ago, and decided to put them in. The weather was great, and I had the time inbetween two music projects. I did the sand, filler primer, paint and clearcoat before installing. Also recolored the interior panels while I was at it. Yes, the car needs paint bad, but I have to do things like this first anyway :)
100_1618.jpg

Yuk! Have you ever seen any this bad? I was so happy to get them off.
100_1616.jpg

100_1615.jpg

Painted
100_1634.jpg
Some smudges on the paint, but all this wiped off. I also tinted the glass beforehand.
100_1639.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

To be honest, I thought it was going to be a difficult job. It wasn't.

Remove seats
Remove inside trim above rear glass and above doors (clips, just yank hard)
Remove interior panels (7 screws) and seat belts (left the "reel" still attached).

That's pretty much it. 7 nuts hold in each glass. You need to clean off the old rubber from both the glass and the car. For mine, the rubber peeled off easily by hand and left no residue. For re installation I used a rubber sealant by Permatex. Before I reinstalled the nuts, I used some of the old rubber and wrapped some around each stud, on the outside and inside for a waterproof seal.

This is probably one of the worst design flaws Ford made with these cars. That rubber strip should have been made replaceable. I'm actually surprised LRS hasn't come up with a way to replace them yet.

I always figured it was a profitable maintainence mod.

Buy glass for <$50, and then the supplies. Do the set you bought, install them, then do the original set and either hold onto them or sell them for $100 or so

I figure a freshly done set would be desirable to people who just want to buy and install

I've seen glass on craigs for like $20 a piece just too far for me to just run and pick up. But yeah that would be an awesome money maker because not so many people would want to get that involved.

I always figured it was a profitable maintainence mod.

Buy glass for <$50, and then the supplies. Do the set you bought, install them, then do the original set and either hold onto them or sell them for $100 or so

I figure a freshly done set would be desirable to people who just want to buy and install
I'm not sure if you can see just how bad my originals were. A good 1/8" of rubber is gone, it's paper thin. How would you refurbish one that bad? Plasti-dip?