New Rims! (They make me wanna cry)

I agree with Husky. Wheel locks are only to keep honest people honest. I'd rather a thief just take my wheels without any fuss and leave the rest of the car. Wheels, though expensive, are nothing compared to the investment in the car.

• Sponsors (?)

I can't tell if any damage was done to the brakes yet. I just had new front rotors put on about a month ago though, and now I see them resting nicely on the pavement. :( My dad suggested an interesting anti-theft device. My gf parks right next to me (that's her black Aveo behind my stang). We now will be parking so close to each other that if someone wants to steal my wheels they will have to move my car first. Well, they can steal two wheels I guess. So there. That's the only system that can't be easily defeated...the buddy system.

I can't tell if any damage was done to the brakes yet. I just had new front rotors put on about a month ago though, and now I see them resting nicely on the pavement. :( My dad suggested an interesting anti-theft device. My gf parks right next to me (that's her black Aveo behind my stang). We now will be parking so close to each other that if someone wants to steal my wheels they will have to move my car first. Well, they can steal two wheels I guess. So there. That's the only system that can't be easily defeated...the buddy system.

yeah..that'll work..hhaha.... But don't sell the car over wheels..I know how you feel, I've had stuff "disappear" before... but for now ask around on the forum or go on ebay, repro wheels are really cheap now. And yeah, the more lock the more annoying, that is true, but anyone that wants wheels will get them, this is true..if not, the whole car, but, the more annoying/time consuming, the less chance they will fu*k with it..not to mention most theives are worried about getting caught, to see your car with another set of wheels they will think you did more than just add wheel-locks... I think U will B o.k....

It takes time to remove wheel locks, plain and simple. So if someone has to remove 5 different types off each wheel, it's gonna make them think twice! More chances to get caught or noticed.

My rear wheels are slightly different than my front wheels and made by 2 different manufacturers. If someone takes mine it will be all to easy to recognize them. (providing I get the chance!)

It takes time to remove wheel locks, plain and simple. So if someone has to remove 5 different types off each wheel, it's gonna make them think twice! More chances to get caught or noticed.

I don't think you understand how the tools that defeat these locks work. It's essentially a socket (really two types) that go over the lock, and create enough friction against the lock, that you can twist it off just like a regular lug nut.

I haven't see a wheel lock yet that could hold up to one of these. And to my earlier point, 5 different lock sets cause the owner to carry 5 different keys. The thief only needs one tool. He won't be slowed down much at all from if you'd had regular lug nuts.

Good point Husky

and to the OP Im sorry that happened to you must be a really crappy feeling I can imagine. I felt bad enough one time when just my radar detector (long time ago never use them anymore) and my CD Player faceplate was stolen(stupid idiots what are you going to do w/ face plate and no CD player to go with it). I would deff get a alarm system for it. While keeping your car from being stolen is a lot more easy then keeping your wheels from being stolen (hidden battery cut off switch, Pulling the coil wire) your wheels are much harder to keep from getting ripped off your car.

After I lost my locking lug key I found out myself how easy it is to remove locking lugs. In a lot of cases you dont even need the actual tool, simply using a slightly smaller socket and using a hammer to force it on the lug will do just fine. If its smooth on the sides I have seen a chisel and hammer knock one off even faster.

I used to know a guy who had his dog dish hubcaps stollen on a regular basis. He ended up tack welding razor blades to the insides of the lip so when they put their hands to pull it off they cut the hell out of the hands. They still got stollen but at least he had the satisfaction knowing they cut themselves up (blood all over the rim).

Sucks to hear best of luck with dealing with this.

I appreciate all the thoughts. I have a factory alarm system, but apparently it's not good enough. Now gunna see if I can find the factory rims to get em back on. And I've been checking craigslist and ebay since this morning.

I don't think you understand how the tools that defeat these locks work. It's essentially a socket (really two types) that go over the lock, and create enough friction against the lock, that you can twist it off just like a regular lug nut.

I haven't see a wheel lock yet that could hold up to one of these. And to my earlier point, 5 different lock sets cause the owner to carry 5 different keys. The thief only needs one tool. He won't be slowed down much at all from if you'd had regular lug nuts.

I watched a video on youtube of a guy demonstrating how easy it was to get the locking lug off his car. However, it took him probably 10 minutes and a bench vice to get the lug out of the socket. Now unless he's carrying 20 of those sockets with him, it'll be difficult and time consuming to get all the wheels off if you have all different locking lugs.

Maybe an "egg" or oval shaped lug would be ideal. Then their hammered on socket wouldn't have enough surface to bite in order to work. I'm sure there's something that will prevent this from happening.

Well dude Ive been there and it sux. They broke into my teal one about a year ago and ****ed my door all up to break the lock cut my hood latch cable to open the hood and disconnect my battery to disable the alarm. Then destroyed my dash to pull the radio bezel out to get a $200 radio and took my gauges too. ****ers deserve to be killed. But w/e its in the past now. I moved out of that area to a gated community where my current stang is parked right infront of my window and there is A LOT OF RESIDENTS constantly going threw the parking lot and security and a very sensitive alarm. Plus the car interior is TOTALLY STOCK minus my shifter plus i have light tints so they can see in the car and see there is nothing in there but the 16 year old stock radio and a sun shade.

As far as the wheel lock thing goes. I recommend it. I am shop foreman in a dealer and we have the snap-on special tool to remove wheel locks and let me tell you yeah it can get one off quick. But you still have to get the lug out of the lock before you use it again. And yea while it comes with the special tool to get the lug out also but that requires hammering the lug out of the lock still. And if your using multiple locks that takes some time! I dont care what "inconvinience" it causes as long as it mean I keep my wheels. Besides I cant believe they would take stock cobra wheels???

Well, I came up with a good wheel lock design.. but it seems gorilla already came up with something similar. Check this out:

Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

With these it doesn't matter if you hammer a socket on, it'll just spin and spin. I had pretty much the same idea accept my idea was to enclose the entire lug with an outer shell which would also cover the top. The shell would have the key design cut into it to match the key design in the lug itself. So basically you would just turn the outer shell until the keyway lined up and use the normal key. The outer shell would just ride on some kind of bearings so no matter what you could get around it, it would never be able to turn the lug inside it.

That sucks man, I had my GPS stolen about a year ago and i was pissed, The worst part is, instead of them breaking the glass, they ripped my convertible top, doing about $1000 in damage. I just got "fixed" after that but still needs to be replaced.

I mean seriously people still jack rims and stereos? That's freaking childish, I live in LA, if i ever catch or catching someone try to steal something from my car, I will just shoot him and go back in the house.

No man should EVER mess with other man's car!

Well, I came up with a good wheel lock design.. but it seems gorilla already came up with something similar. Check this out:

Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

With these it doesn't matter if you hammer a socket on, it'll just spin and spin. I had pretty much the same idea accept my idea was to enclose the entire lug with an outer shell which would also cover the top. The shell would have the key design cut into it to match the key design in the lug itself. So basically you would just turn the outer shell until the keyway lined up and use the normal key. The outer shell would just ride on some kind of bearings so no matter what you could get around it, it would never be able to turn the lug inside it.

That actually looks pretty good.

Depends on the locking wheel nuts. Most can be removed with a gator grip, or whatever it's called. That really blows dude. I have some 16" pony rims you can have, but I live more than 3 hours away.

Kurt

Depends on the locking wheel nuts. Most can be removed with a gator grip, or whatever it's called. That really blows dude. I have some 16" pony rims you can have, but I live more than 3 hours away.

Kurt

Yup LOL... this is why i like non deep dish 10.5's in the back my lugs sit so far in you really need to work on it to get them off...

The way i use is i get a slightly smaller socket... and i wrap sandpaper around the lug then hammer the socket on.

damn that sucks man. i think the ford factory locking lugs would stand a better chance of thwarting a theif because they are perfectly round and very small and the lock portion goes into the lugnut not around it so even hammering a regular socket onto it wont take it off

i also think those gorilla locking lugs are brilliant i will definitely be getting a set of those in the future.

also there is one sure fire way of making sure that theives dont get your wheels and this will also guarantee your wheels never fall off but it is a HUGE inconvenience for anytime you need to take a wheel off and will be near impossible to get off if you get a flat. cross thread one lugnut on each wheel id love to see a theif get your wheels off if you did that lol