NEW rules revision in NMRA Factory Stock!

jackchan

Oct 17, 2004
Mobile Alabama
they are now going to allow custom grind cam's and long tube headers/off road pipes. Where my car would have been running around a 12.00 look for it soon (with my new being built shortblock) to dip down in the 11.50-11.60 range! I first have to get my 60 ft down, then its on!

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know if I like the cam rule. My dad says its just going to send it the same way Trophy Stock went. They went from basic 12 second cars, to now 9 second cars. The long tubes I dont mind (I run them and Im FINALLY legal for NMRA) but allowing cams... I see this going really bad for the NMRA and the class, but we shall see.

:stupid: I see great progression in FS from the inception. They are going faster and faster with stock parts. It's great... Cams now...? Then it'll be heads... and a blower.... And end up Real Street. Keep it the damn same.. Stupid.

They are making it more like nhra stock eliminator, I can wait to here all the mod motor guys bitch and moan when some of those bad stocker guys come in to the class and rape thier ass like they used to do to the 5.0's

They are making it more like nhra stock eliminator, I can wait to here all the mod motor guys bitch and moan when some of those bad stocker guys come in to the class and rape thier ass like they used to do to the 5.0's

I won't change the headers just yet, but after replacing my axles/diff I'll and get my 60ft in order, then I'll see about ordering a custom bumpstick to try.

as for the class being like stock elim. that is true. They didnt want to slow the mod cars so they are allowing the cams for 2V's and 5.0's to even the playing field. Some say the 5.0's will hit 11.30's 11.40's easily!:nice:

I don't really care for all that speed, (yea i know that sound stupid) but if you keep the power down, keep the cars simple then you can keep the cars together and have a blast without spending a small fortune....Thats what I like simplicity/fun i.e. something that will stay together.

woodrow,
would you go with 31 splines or 33 on the axles? I know you guys know how to keep a rig together.....you input is greatly appreciated.
Ben

The cams may not help as much as you think, your still limited in the amount of air that the motor is ingesting with the stock heads and intake, but it will help.

Wonder what sparked the change..... I would think the shorty header may help retain a little more TQ whcih I feel the car would need to get down the track faster, it will not have the top end like a 4.6.

If you go 33 spline you'll need to use a spool, I do not know of an afetermarket posi type clutch carrier. I would go with a lightened set of 31 spline axles, lightened gears, etc...

jackchan said:
I won't change the headers just yet, but after replacing my axles/diff I'll and get my 60ft in order, then I'll see about ordering a custom bumpstick to try.

as for the class being like stock elim. that is true. They didnt want to slow the mod cars so they are allowing the cams for 2V's and 5.0's to even the playing field. Some say the 5.0's will hit 11.30's 11.40's easily!:nice:

I don't really care for all that speed, (yea i know that sound stupid) but if you keep the power down, keep the cars simple then you can keep the cars together and have a blast without spending a small fortune....Thats what I like simplicity/fun i.e. something that will stay together.

woodrow,
would you go with 31 splines or 33 on the axles? I know you guys know how to keep a rig together.....you input is greatly appreciated.
Ben

In that comet I was driving it had 35 spline but that is way over kill. We would have put 33's in it however the guy how had it before us opted 35 spline mark williams for some reason. In our mustang we run 35 spline gun drilled and lightened moser's with an aluminum spool. However after about 150 passes or so leaving at 7800 the spool tends to let go.

I forgot to answer the question lol I agree with rick I would get some lightened 31's if your on a budget along with the matching gear set. Btw pm me some time I have a few ideas you might try if ur intrested.

I just looked back in my notes, my 33 spline Mosers, gundrilled, star flanged, 5/8" lugs, 5 lug are 7.48pounds lighter EACH then my fathers 31 spline MW axles, both use a 9" bearing end. Titanium wheels studs are worth another pound to pound half per axle, just expensive. The lightened Strange spool was within .5 pounds of my standard Moser.

Just keep in mind the Strange and Moser splines are slightly different, they do not mesh together.