new sound system...

6FIVE_STANG

Jul 2, 2006
San Jose, CA
i just put a new Kicker L7 12" sub with a Soundstream 1000rms watt amp. a Tsunami 2 guage amp kit a a Tsunami 2 farad capacitor. The problem is that my headlights/ interior lights are dimming. What can i do to stop this. Would a bigger alternator help?..

• Sponsors (?)

remember even though you amp says 1000 watts,it might rarely see that.CHeck the total amerage of the fuses on the amp, at 1000 watss should be at least 100-120, figure the stock altenator is MAYBE 55, so your killing the altnerator as well as draining the battery when the bass hits. I really dont belive in caps,even though the companies i worked for made them, I would use 100+ amp alternator and dual batteried if possible and then last resort is a cap. Make sure you have good grounds and maybe even put a DVOM on the battery to see what the volts are dropping to.In my truck i have ran 4 Kicker 12" L7's with a 2000 watt amp at 1/2 ohm and another 1400 watt amp for highs as well 5 screens,PS2,all powered by 2 stock batteries and 140 amp alternator.

iskwezm said:
remember even though you amp says 1000 watts,it might rarely see that.CHeck the total amerage of the fuses on the amp, at 1000 watss should be at least 100-120, figure the stock altenator is MAYBE 55, so your killing the altnerator as well as draining the battery when the bass hits. I really dont belive in caps,even though the companies i worked for made them, I would use 100+ amp alternator and dual batteried if possible and then last resort is a cap. Make sure you have good grounds and maybe even put a DVOM on the battery to see what the volts are dropping to.In my truck i have ran 4 Kicker 12" L7's with a 2000 watt amp at 1/2 ohm and another 1400 watt amp for highs as well 5 screens,PS2,all powered by 2 stock batteries and 140 amp alternator.
HOW CAN I RUN DUAL BATTERIES?....IM INTERESTED..

6FIVE_STANG said:

To run dual batteries you need 2 batteries and a dual battery isolator. This set up is great if you plan on listening to the music a lot while the car is off. If you don't plan on it, then dual batteries will do nothing for you. As was pointed out, larger alty & larger battery will give you what you need.

Stiffening caps can help smooth out the current draw when the bass hits by supplying instantaneous current to the amp. BUT, if the cap is drained due to, say a bass note, and there is a lot of deep bass hitting right after that, then it will not recharge in time. Thus defeating it's purpose. If you listen to a lot of rap it'll help some, but not a lot. Remember, the current draw, or how loud you listen to the music, has a LOT to do w/the power demand of the charging system.

As iskwezm suggested, measure the voltage drop. Do this w/the car running and see how low it dips when played loud w/lots of bass. Turn on the headlights and listen to the music and see how much it drops. Turn it all off and see how long it takes for the battery to recharge itself to normal voltage.

6FIVE_STANG said:
I run dual batteries for peace of mind, with a electric fan,2000 watt stereo,fuel pump and soon electric water pump,i dont want the voltage dropping to burn anything out.They are just wired in paralel, so positive to positive and negative to negative.The problem is if you have small alternator it wont fully charge both of them.I have them wired with one of our PAC products that will shut the stereo off at 11.5 volts so it doenst completely kill the batterie and then one is wired for starting only through a 200 amp relay/isloator