New Tires for my Pony Wheels - SIZE?

2dr_sedan

May 25, 2005
Gotta get some new skins in the next few days, what size should I get?

I have Pony wheels, now they have 225/55-16
My car is a 87 GT that's lowered.

I don't wanna tire that looks too small, but yet I don't want one too fat... :shrug:

Any suggestions? Pics?

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

my ponies have 225/50/R16 Toyo Proxies and they look good. They seem to be good tires to me, although my back ones are nearly bald :D

I think I'm gonna throw my tires/wheels from my GT on my LX though because I can't afford to buy new tires right now. Otherwise, I'd replace the tires on the ponies w/ more toyo proxies 225/50/R16.

I know I've read that 245 in the front rubs at full lock.

Does anyone have a picture of 205 fronts?

Right now i run 225 front and 245 back. But im getting a new set of 255s for the rear and want to run as skinny as possible on the front.

Anyone have a pic of skinny tires on front pony?

Im getting ready to get some new tires and was thinking about going 245/45s but Ive got a 4cyl rack and it already rubs with the 225s on there now. I may do the 245/50s cause I dont think Im ready to do springs yet and still need some tire to fill up the wheel well. Should also make for a little smoother ride

Dbeck002 said:
Does anyone have a picture of 205 fronts?

Right now i run 225 front and 245 back. But im getting a new set of 255s for the rear and want to run as skinny as possible on the front.

Anyone have a pic of skinny tires on front pony?
dont waste ur money on them 255's. if im not mistaking they are towide if ur running the 16x7 pony wheels.

right now i have 225/50/16 yokohama's on front and 245/50/16 futura GTX II in back. i think if u have a wider tire in back then the front the car looks mean. just my .02 tho. My car is also lowered 2" in front and 1 1/2" in back

I run Avon 225/55 ZR's from the Tire Rack. OEM tires on Rolls/Bentley at around $400 shipped and installed. They are supremely quiet but grip very well. I've found the wheel wells look funny if you have anything shorter. I've also used Bridgestone 245/50's and 225/60's. The 245's were great but rubbed just a little. The 225's were just too mushy.

My 87 vert is mildly lowered and the biggest I can get on my Pony wheels (7") is 245/50/16. Tried 245/45/16 Yokos and they would not fit. Fit great on my new Cobra R's though. So unless you are really lowered then you are limited by the wheel width not the wheel wells. Now I have extra wheels and tires!!