New to site need help with a 2002 mustang gt

Roblauderdale

Jun 5, 2019
Jacksonville fl
Hello everyone thanks in advance. I recently picked up a 2002 mustang gt from a local auction. I have zero history on the vehicle and it has some issues. Here is what I do know about it after some investigation.

2002 gt 4.6l was an automatic converted to manual. Had the auto harness still on the trans.

No check engine lights at all

Speedo is off by a lot more then double. Running a stock gear most likely. Turned the wheels and counted the driveshaft rotations thinking it’s a 3:27
Its hanging the idle around 2000-2300 I can force it down on a stop or it come down and hold around 1200-1500 for a min or so.

I suspect a fuel problem because it runs good then it brakes up between 1/4 and 3/4!throttle full throttle it’s goes good most times . Then it brakes up again. Then cleans up. Motor seems great when first fired up or when it’s hitting in all 8 under a load. It’s like it’s sucking up dirt into the pump. It’s hard to hear it running too.

Bolt ons are bbk long tubes
Bbk off road x pipe to flowmateres
Cold air intake
Get delete
Under drive pulleys
New accel coil packs
New ngk spark plugs
Manual trans added
running stock 96-98 19lbs injectors
Stock throttle body and plentum
Stock mass air
New mass air sensor
New throttle body position sensor
New idle air control valve
New vacuum lines off intake
I have removed the throttle body and disassembled and cleaned
New fuel tank filler tube.

It’s obvious to me that the car has some sort of a tune for the auto to manual conversion since they retained the auto harness I’m guessing they didn’t change out the computer . Car came with no tuner. I have a new cobra svt fuel
Pump I’m installing today I think will fix the brake up but not the hung idle. Any suggestions on how to fix the idle so I can get it tunes
Any help will be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors(?)

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
If this were my car I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to throw parts at the problem until I understood WHY things are acting the way they are.

Are you aware that the speedometer does have an effect on the idle? The PCM makes idle decisions based upon the car's speed.

Here's some information on HOW to trouble shoot idle/IAC problems.

Troubleshoot IAC idle problems 1996-2004

Do you know the model year that the manual transmission? Why does that matter? Because many people assume that all transmission are interchangeable just because they look the same and bolt up. The speedometer off by double is a symptom where a transmission with a VSS sensor has been "forced" into an application is expecting an OSS sensor.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? How could an ODB2 scanner be used to possibly save you a ton of parts and grief? Consider that IF there's a fuel related problem this will also show up in the Long term fuel trims (LTFT) and Short term fuel trims (STFT). It should be expected to see the fuel pressure (FRPS) drop off IF the fuel pump isn't able to keep up.

Here's is some information on an affordable Windows based unit.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

With an ODB2 scanner this will also give easy access to PID's such as TPMODE, IAC duty percent, LTFT, and MAF flow. Information that is super helpful trouble shooting drivability problems.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C New To The Site And Need Some Help! 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 13
W New To The Site And In Need Of Some Help!! The Welcome Wagon 11
F New To Site And Need Help. The Welcome Wagon 0
Will65 Hey New To The Site.... Need Help With Front Frame Of 1965 Mustang Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
R new to site need help thanks Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
9 New to site need some help on how to make a sig The Welcome Wagon 2
S new to the site need help 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 0
Methodical How to start own car site w/pictures...Need help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 10
R New To Site Need Tire Advice Asap 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 0
S New To Site Need 9 Mustang Gt Fuse Layout Diagram The Welcome Wagon 1
N Need Web Sites For Cheap Mustang Parts 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 8
S 20" Wheel Tire Size for the Mustang ? ? ? ? site needed ----------------------------- 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 10
RIO5.0 Online music sites..I need a new one.. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 27
99CobraJMS Web Sites for Cheap Parts, need a part SVT Tech Forum 8
GoinBroke New to Site and need some opinions Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
accidentprone86 Anyone that likes to makes thing Needs to see this site! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
Killercanary In need of a good photo hosting site 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 2
Y hi all new to site need a little advise 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 20
chepsk8 COBRASK8 Video ready - Need a site / host so I can link it so you all can see 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 9
W need some sites SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
joelliott Newbe 85GT owner needs info. already searched site! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 41
mustangmat99 getting supercharged 6, need sites SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 5
B how do you use this site The Welcome Wagon 3
9 Newbie to the site saying HI The Welcome Wagon 1
B.D. Magoo Hello all you beautiful people! :) new to the site so gotta say hi. The Welcome Wagon 2
L New to this site just bought a 2007 Roush 427 Stage 3 Mustang GT The Welcome Wagon 2
Gtbabydriver new to this site and learning about my car 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
Shelby58 Just joined the site. The Welcome Wagon 2
B New to site Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
1 new To site Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
T New to this site The Welcome Wagon 2
9 New to site and I love mustangs The Welcome Wagon 7
92Snoopy New to this site ! The Welcome Wagon 0
F New to this site with my '96 GT. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
J New to this site The Welcome Wagon 1
8 Hi, new to the site The Welcome Wagon 9
K Hello I am brand new to this site. I have a 2002 v6 stnd tran. and I have a street 302 +,060 with a c4 that I want to put into the car. How hard isit 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
F New to the site from NJ The Welcome Wagon 9
D I'm trying to post my mustang for sale on this site having no luck The Welcome Wagon 2
colorado cobra What Happened to the Mustang II Network site? 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 8
S New to the Site The Welcome Wagon 1
9 New to the site The Welcome Wagon 2
oo7 Hi all. Awesome site! The Welcome Wagon 1
BlakeusMaximus This new site will take some getting used to! 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
markinms I Love This Site! The Welcome Wagon 2
Shane8996GTLX New To The Site The Welcome Wagon 1
mhodge06 New To Site With Electrical Ground Questions. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
stepterr New To Site The Welcome Wagon 3
Anthony Bonert New To The Site The Welcome Wagon 9
BigE85 New To Site And Owner Of My First Mustang Gt The Welcome Wagon 4