New to 'stangnet. 302 going into 1958 F100. Megasquirt Questions

Hello, my name is Finn Spooner and my Dad and I are rebuilding a 1958 Ford F100. We put together a 302: a 1991 bottom end with forged internals, 1968 heads ported and polished. GT40 upper and lower intake plenums. So, kind of a mutt of a 302.

We are not brand new to Megasquirt, but we only have one installation so far. We put a jeep 4.0 in the Scout we finished last year and put the Megasquirt 3X on that. We learned a lot with that project - no one had any base tunes and info was hard to come by. But now it is running great.

We wired the whole engine ourselves and want to do that again with this engine.

I looked through all 16 pages of threads and read through a bunch - I haven't tackled that 67 page sticky yet so maybe the answer is in there - but I didn't see an answer to the question I have now.

So, what we need is the pinouts for all of the sensors that are normal to the engine: cam position, coolant temp, oil pressure, etc. Somewhere my Dad found that kind of list for the jeep 4.0 and that was how we figured out which sensor wires went where on the Megasquirt. We are not going to use the MAF and will go speed density, so will install an intake temperature senor - but we will get the pinout when we get the sensor. Same with crank position - we will just use a toothed wheel and a hall sensor. What we would like is the pinout for the Ford sensors that we will use.

That's it for now. I know we will have more questions in the future. Like coils - so many choices there. But I'll get to those later.

If anyone can point us in the direction of a Ford sensor wiring diagram or pinout list that would be great! Thanks for reading - Finn

A pic of the nice clean engine after getting it fitted on the chassis when we were figuring out how we were going to be able to turn the truck someday:

IMG_3449.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

What exactly do you need? a list of sensors and the proper location? if you are building the harness yourself then you do not need a pinout... unless you mean you need to know how to wire the sensors. The pinout will be on the info page for the megasquirt and the manual has examples for how to wire them in.

The SBF did not come with a toothed wheel from the factory unless you are running an explorer engine dress then it will have a 36-1 wheel on the balancer that normally uses a VR sensor, I personally make my own mount and use a hall effect sensor [cherry sensor].
Are you planning on doing the EDIS ignition? I see a cam sensor installed in the motor so I assume either EDIS or smart coils wired in wasted spark.

My advice can be very specific, I need to know more about the build what the plans are for the ign system and what MS you plan to run

EDIS ignition
I had to google that. We had just assumed that we would need both a cam position and crank position sensor because that is the way we had to go with the jeep 4.0. We do not have the EDIS8 controller. We'd have to track one of those down.

We are still in the early planning for this. We probably should break out our Megasquirt manuals and see what they have to say for the 5.0. So far our ideas:

MS 3x (the same model we put into the Scout). But no relay board this time.
Use the 36 tooth gear from DIYautotune for the crank trigger. Get the hall sensor from them too.
Use the stock cam position sensor - the top end of this engine and the timing cover/water pump are from a 1993 Explorer, so that's why we have that.
Drive the coil packs with the quadspark
We were thinking wasted spark/batch firing 2 cylinders at a time.
Go with Speed Density and install a IAT sensor in the upper plenum.
Wire the harness ourselves, using what we learned from the 4.0.
We are using a manual trans, so no computer for that.

Now, the EDIS seems like a great way to go - and if you or anyone can point to a source for an EDIS8 module we'd be grateful. But would like some advice - easier to stay with both cam and crank sensors and the quadspark or EDIS? I'll do some more reading but my quick look seems like EDIS would be the way to go if they are available.

My original questions regarded for wiring for each of the sensor connections: which wire is power, ground, sensor - just so we know which wire has to go where on the MS. That info must be out there somewhere.

Thanks again for the quick replay and any info! Finn

Nope... if you plan on running an MS3X you should use the 36 wheel and the explorer cam sync.. use LS coil packs and wire the thing up fully sequential. If you want to use the quad spark and the factory explorer coil packs that will work as well but I suggest swapping the explorer coils for dodge neon coils instead they will still need the quad spark but they use standard boot ends so you can build your own wires.

my engine
1614024061598.png

1614024088846.png

I am running an MS3pro and repurposed the LS drop on harness they supply, just had to do some re-pinning and extend a few sensors.

This is a 393cid that started life as a marine 351w

With a standard intake manifold they do not fit on the valve covers. The purpose of coil near plug is to reduce the length of the plug wire. However on a stock style rebuild this is of little consequence, the LS coils can be salvaged from any 4.8,5.3 in the junk yard along with the harness for cheap.