New to stangnet.

03v6ryan

Jan 17, 2019
Deltona, FL
Hello. My wife has a 2003 3.8. She has given me the green light to mess with it and make it faster.
I was raised in Fords and I dd an f150. I've been trying to study up on all the stuff about the engine and trans and all the other areas I want to upgrade. I've read that the engine was built by Essex and that the rods and pistons are great for everyday driving but suck for performance applications.
I want to rebuild the t5 transmission because I want to learn how and it needs some TLC. 5th gear grinds, 1st and 2nd gears are a little rough which tells me the shift fork has a broken tip or the synchros are bad.
But I'll be reading some threads to see how people got their 3.8s hopped up and see what worked and what didnt and to get some ideas. I know it'll take time to get power out of it. Its bone stock right now. I've replaced the shock absorbers and the struts and the strut polyurethane pieces. I've replaced the clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and the rear main seal. The driver side valve cover gasket has a leak.
Also looking for cheaper options, if any, to put some power to it. Since the car came with the v6, I want to keep it and build it up since I see so many 4.6s and 5.0s and 5.4s being used, its few and far between to see a souped up 3.8.
Thanks for reading!

• Sponsors (?)