new to the board

i will be posting here a lot....i have an early 85 svo im trying to work some bugs out of. it starts good, runs good for a little, then the idle starts dipping, then it runs fine. it stops dipping if i unplug the iac. mityvac hooked to vacuum tree shows a steady needle and no vac leaks. everything in searches brings up tfi and pip problems...it has a new pip. but unplugging the iac and running fine confuses me. anyone have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

kennycoulter said:
i will be posting here a lot....i have an early 85 svo im trying to work some bugs out of. it starts good, runs good for a little, then the idle starts dipping, then it runs fine. it stops dipping if i unplug the iac. mityvac hooked to vacuum tree shows a steady needle and no vac leaks. everything in searches brings up tfi and pip problems...it has a new pip. but unplugging the iac and running fine confuses me. anyone have any ideas?
my bf 351wcoupe has an 84 svo he might could help you
and welcome to the board :nice:

Well it has finally happened, I am the one laughing now that the newer members are complimenting a newbie on using the search engine. OMG I am old now.

BTW welcome aboard man, dont start a header thread LOL.

kiddiccarus said:
Well it has finally happened, I am the one laughing now that the newer members are complimenting a newbie on using the search engine. OMG I am old now.

BTW welcome aboard man, dont start a header thread LOL.

*sits back in chair*....so this is whats i like to be old... :D

I'd clean out the IAC w/ some contact cleaner really well, sometimes the plunger sticks. Perhaps it's hesitant (sticking) to open and close and 'causing the surging.

Also, if you still have the EGR, it may be stuck open, could be causing some problems the IAC is trying to compensate.

Clean your contacts, put some good di-electric grease on the connections.

Check your grounds, make sure everything is tight and clean on the wiring. These cars run great when everything is perfect - but they are finicky over wiring and love good grounds.

Welcome - where you located?

140 is right, I had a bad ground that would kill my dash display lights and while searching for the problem (wiggling wires and such) my injectors would click and the fuel pump would make a noise at the same time. Fixed that and everything was cool.

HEY!! Whats the best header to use for these 2.3T's? :D

Welcome to the Boards !!

Dispite the search forum reply you've been getting, we're really glad to have you :D I think the better thing to say is most of your questions has probaly been answered at one point or another. So if you do a search and can't find it feel free to post up a storm. Another good source of information is www.TurboFord.org/ or SVOCA.COM. if it wasn't for them and Stangnet my SVO wouldn't be running :nice:

As for the best 2.3 header..are we talking "L" or "T"s :p

ive gone through the grounds thing, ill have to see if it is the egr, i noticed today, while hooking up my a/f gauge that the green line going to the egr solenoid(?) was broke, but when i fixxed it, nothing changed....i think i did it while hooking up the wires. i have been swapping out 2 different iacs to see if they were working, and i switched the wires around too. i think the atr header LOOKS good, but everyone says it cracks. im about to check my tps voltage again, but its freezing outside and im warming up right now. the only code that came up during koer was 23, tps out of spec for self test. while surging, according to my a/f/ gauge, it is very lean off the gauge lean, and when surging up, goes extremely rich. at idle, it was rich right after the idle smoothed, then started doing the disco thing going from lean to stoich.....but my friends 84 has the same gauges and this is what his does. i know that the diaphram on the egr is good, but i guess ill have to see if its opening. when does it open?

:nonono:
Pro-Hawk said:
I'll stick with the ported E6 my self :nice:
:mad:

My son (8yr) is going to get me am air die grinder for my compressor for a x-mas gift, so I am going to port the e-6 that will be going on his engine, then I will be moving on to the extra head I have sitting in the garage Wish me luck