New to the site and have so many questions..

Machina

Nov 29, 2011
I have a few questions regarding aftermarket parts for a '12 V6. I've searched through the forums to answer as many questions as I could without having to get flame for a 'repost' or whatever. I just removed the door stripes a few minutes ago thanks to some help from this site!
Anyways, the two main questions I have are first:
If I get some new rims, if I go up to 19" will my speedometer be off, will I lose a major amount of speed, and how to I get that effect where the rear wheel kind of 'sticks out' to give it that bulkier look and is that ok for the car?
I want to do 19 instead of 18 to try and fill in the gap between the car and the tire. I have 17's now
Second: I noticed the radio cant just be replaced with a standard head unit. Looks like I'll have to redo everything. I don't care about bass and all that but like a clear/loud sound that the shaker has but don't know who would carry one to fit the '12? I know this is rather long but I've got that 'fever' to do so much to it and don't know where to start. Sorry for the long post! Thanks for any help

• Sponsors (?)

Adding tire size isn't necessarily going to "fill" the wheel well gap. You'll more than likely go with a thinner sidewall, thus increasing the gap. Suspension parts will close the gap and give you the sportier look you're after.

Altering tire size will affect your speedo, it all depends on how much you change it. Google will net you a better explanation than I can offer you.

To get that "bulkier" rear end look, get a set of staggered rims. You don't need them to stick out to get that look. Talk to one of the forums sponsors for your specific needs and they'll recommend something.

Whatever you do..do it slowly..do not rush into a mod without thoroughly researching it. Your Mustang although stock is set-up extremely well and by adding a mod you could screw it up.
There are good mods and lousy ones. Be careful.
Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy your car.:flag:

When ppl go with a larger size wheel (aka rim) then the tire sidewall actually gets thinner to keep the original overall diameter of the tire. So increasing the rim 2 inches means the tire will have a larger inner diameter, a bigger hole. If you actually increase the overall outside diameter of the tire, yes you will throw off the speedo but more importantly you will really mess up the handling of your mustang! :jaw: As stated, if you want to close the gap in the wheel/wheel well area, look into lowering the supsension. Search this site for tons of info! Try "lowering springs" and/or "lowering suspension" as keywords.

Staggered wheels mean the rear wheels are wider than the fronts. American Muscle (AM) has great pics/options.

I had heard Crutchfield had aftermarket stereo options for the 11-12 stangs but haven't been able to find them myself.

Hope this helps.