New to the site and mustangs, first upgrades?

cbrcolt45

Jun 29, 2009
Just bought a black 94 gt 5 speed, 5.0

I want some more power since im in very high altitude, it is completely stock except the rims, i want some loud pipes, any ideas? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I love these posts.
I would say an catless H-pipe, and some sort of after-cat exhaust. That depends on your budget.
for better acceleration, get 3.73 or 4.10 gears. (rear differential gears)
Between the three of those, you'll get quicker and louder.

I believe you should get some research done before you mod your car any farther than that. and get used to it, and how it all runs.

Also, whats your plans with the car? where is it going to end up? N/A monster? turbo? supercharged? road track? drag strip?

thanks for the fast reply, its just going to be around town, not my only car so i want it fast. I havent dont anything as far as research yet, dont even know the ball park price things would cost me, anyone know ball park prices for, say a good exhaust, supercharger or turbo. Or know of anyways to make more HP in higher altitudes? need more air i guess

EDIT- by the way, which gears would be faster off the line? never on the highway

Research them prices!!!

Off the line, 4.10...
your stock gears are 2.73. MOST people go with 3.73 because its a good middle ground.
Superchargers and turbos will be in the thousands depending on size/brand/used/new and whatnot.

As far as your air issues. to get the most out of your car performance wise. Get 42lb injectors and walbro 255lph fuel pump, a calibrated MAF and get a TUNE!!!
I just installed my Moates QuarterHorse tuner a week ago. I am VERY pleased thus far.
That should help out with your air issues, and your fuel mods are to compensate for the air.
Plus if your going to do forced induction, your going to need those fuel mods anyway.

First off welcome! To answer your questions we'd have to know a few things, mainly what is your budget, will you be doing any work yourself, how much streetability are you willing to give up in the search for speed, etc.

Edit- I would NOT choose gears until you know what kind of combo you will build. A high winding NA combo will be best suited with 4.10's or greater, a supercharged setup will not. IMO gears are one of the last things that should be chosen in a combo. The gear should be chosen to match the powerband and power output of the engine.

First off welcome! To answer your questions we'd have to know a few things, mainly what is your budget, will you be doing any work yourself, how much streetability are you willing to give up in the search for speed, etc.

Edit- I would NOT choose gears until you know what kind of combo you will build. A high winding NA combo will be best suited with 4.10's or greater, a supercharged setup will not. IMO gears are one of the last things that should be chosen in a combo. The gear should be chosen to match the powerband and power output of the engine.

:Word: Otherwise you end up switching back and forth and that gets expensive. Now. That being said, NA "High" Altitude cars, I would choose gears 4.10-4.30 to get it out of its own way. Gears dont need oxygen.

Gears dont need oxygen.

That's true, but the most effective way to get more oxygen into the engine at high altitude is to pressurize it. i.e. turbo or supercharger. If you supercharge, go for a unit that'll build torque from low revs (twin screw or Roots). A centrifugal will do almost nothing until you hit 3000rpm.

Wow yea there's a lot to it I guess, well im willing to give up quite a bit of street-ability, and im doing no work my self, would have to get a friend or shop to do it. And my budget is weird, cant afford the best stuff but never buy the cheapo stuff. Thanks everyone

If I were to do it all over again. gears, exhaust, supercharger/turbo.

Depending on your stock gears, i dont see how its that much of a "boost" doing gears if your final goal is to have a turbo....unless u do the work yourself, that $500 or so gears cost is a big chunk for a supercharger/turbocharger kit.

Glad to see some of the experienced guys chiming in and say to hold off on gears. The best thing you can do for your car is to figure out what you want to have at the end. If you know its gonna take you 5 years, then swapping out the gears later might not be a big deal since its so spaced out. But make that window a year...or 2. And you'll feel like you are wasting cash.

I think an offroad pipe and catback/mufflers is a pretty safe route and will be satisfying. Maybe some pullies. Much beyond that, i would plan the combo out. And if you dont know...thats fine. Just take your time to get there and do it once. I WISH i had 1 plan i stuck to....i would have saved a LOT of cash :mad:

Or keep your eye in the classifieds...u can come across really cheap deals that may not be your "end plan" but they're so cheap u can pass them up and will be a boost to your current setup. Then later u can resell them to gain some $$$$ back. coughcoughkinda like my explorer intake manifold i'll sell for cheap coughcough

lol, welcome to the club!

Not to sound dumb, but would pulleys give me more speed? Yea i think my plan is in 2 years have, supercharger, and everything needed to have setup right. Maybe start with exhuast and leave the gears alone right now? maybe ill go with the fuel stuff?

LOL Nate... what's that you say? you have a cheap performance part to help a young fella out?

Yeah, as for the gears, I would say that your best option would be to go with a 3.73 or 3.55 if you plan on boosting down the road. 4.10's will be a helluva good time while you're NA but you won't like'em when you're forcing air.

That said, wait for it until you decide which route you're going to take. I think there's more than just Nate and I who've made these mistakes in the past haha

Go with a Mac or BBK exhaust, they're both relatively cheap yet loud and effective. Flowmaster's are a 5.0's friend when it comes to mufflers.

Not to sound dumb, but would pulleys give me more speed? Yea i think my plan is in 2 years have, supercharger, and everything needed to have setup right. Maybe start with exhuast and leave the gears alone right now? maybe ill go with the fuel stuff?

Pulleys don't add power, so much as they free it up. You're engine is trying to power more than just your rear wheels, so lightening it's load on the other components helps the car put more power where it belongs.

That said, you might notice charging problems, as a lot of people have had here, once you switch to underdrive pulleys.