New to the site..

bones86

Jun 10, 2007
Hey everyone obviously as the title implies I'm a new member here and was hoping for some info on a couple questions. I just bought an 86 5.0 5 speed car and the body is rough, but the driveline is in good shape. What I was wanting to do was swap the nose for the 87-93 style front end, the only question I have is will I have to swap the header panel and radiator support or just the header panel? And also, how would be the best way to do a rear disc conversion on the brakes? Any insight would be helpful.

• Sponsors (?)

Ohhhh, people will not be happy with an aero front change on your car!!!! LOL!
At least you didn't ask this on www.foureyedpride.com !

You will have to change the bumper cover and the fiberglass header panel behind it, along with wiring up the later model lights. Then your front fender extensions in front of the front tires will need to be changed, and then the side molding is a different style and it will look weird unless you change it on the doors and fenders, and also the rear bumper molding is different so it should be changed.

So there are a lot of changes to make it look right.

As for rear disc, read the Mustang Brake Bible: http://svo73mm.cjb.net or http://sn95brakes.com Matt has all the brake options listed. Read it and then you can ask specific questions on the different applications. But basically, it all depends on which wheels you want to run.

lol, personally i've never liked the looks of the earlier fox cars. I like the more rounded nose than the square, and I bought the car running with a title for 1,000 bucks, and it runs like a top so I can't complain. I was wanting to run the 17x9 Cobra R's front and rear, or maybe a 17x10 1/2 on the rear depending on clearance. So basically all the moldings have to be changed and the front and rear covers? What about the gauge clusters? I was wanting a 140 mph cluster with a tach, what would have to be done to change that? the one in my car is an 85 mph cluster. Oh and by the way, I'm gonna be going to a 5 lug setup. They have complete 5 lug setups on ebay for like 350 bucks shipped.

As long as you are only planning to run the Cobra R wheel, then the cheaper conversion would work, since most of the other 17" wheels require the 94-04 spindles to fit.

If you read, you will see you actually have the 4 cyl brakes (10") as the pre 87 cars all had the same brakes. The cheap conversions are usually for the 87-93 V8 brakes (11" rotors) so you would have to change spindles to use the cheap conversion.

If you have no desire to improve the brakes, then you can read the website and find what rotors might work for your car. And for the rears, usually the widest you can easily go is 9"

I'll probably swap the front spindles to go with the 94 up brake setup, seeing as how I eventually plan to do some work to the motor. I was looking at maybe trick flow plenums and new gt40 turbo swirl aluminum heads, but that'll be later, so i'll need better stopping power. I'm mainly concerned for the rear. I'll surf the site and see what I can come up with. For the wiring up the headlights, do I just need the plugs and a few inches of wire to crimp together or do I need a whole other wiring harness?

Hey man, trust me dont change the front cover! Keep it a 4 eye! I have a aero nose and i'm buying a "85 GT hatch tomorrow and i love the 4 eyed look! Its alot of money and work and its just not worth it! Give it time, it'll grow on yah for sure! But if you decide to do the conversion. Go to the Search Panel and type that in and you'll get alot of results and i know there are a few threads with pictures of the conversion. If it isn't this website its corral.net!

convert to sn95 spec brakes from 94-95 . you won't regret it. :) i was lucky and bought a wrecked, motorless 95 shell with a good set of brakes and full interior for 200 bucks. the rear discs and 17 x 9 split 5 spokes look awesome. they are 9 in wide, and i'll prove it:)

Hey everyone obviously as the title implies I'm a new member here and was hoping for some info on a couple questions. I just bought an 86 5.0 5 speed car and the body is rough, but the driveline is in good shape. What I was wanting to do was swap the nose for the 87-93 style front end, the only question I have is will I have to swap the header panel and radiator support or just the header panel? And also, how would be the best way to do a rear disc conversion on the brakes? Any insight would be helpful.

grrrroooowwwlllll

Don't do it. :mad:

Welcome to Stangnet, I think.

Its YOUR car, do whatever the hell you want to do to it.. If the body is in that bad of shape, why not find a 4 cylinder aero nose and swap everything into that? I have run across several in the 800-1000 dollar range, and in decent shape, but people dont want them because they are 4 bangers.