New Upgrades and cooling issues

You don't like it above the midpoint...that does not mean the engine is hot. It just means you don't like it above the midpoint of the gauge. Factory gauges are suspect at best as already pointed out. You need to get a mechanical gauge on it to really know how hot or not it is actually getting. Anything else is just a guess.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Just an update....so I tried burping it again today and I got the temp to stay steady at the R level on the gauge whereas before it was up towards the O on the gauge...I have not driven it far yet but I plan to soon and see how it goes. I was happy to see there was more air coming out of the system so hopefully that was my problem.

Reactions: 1 users
many believe problems exsist when they do not. If overly concerned when nothing is there, there is no mechanical fix. The 'fix' might B in the mind. Here's the component list. Ck each & fully know after that - all is well?

"...Cooling System Diagnosis?..."
There are abt a doz things U can wrk with to effect running temps. The big one - proper tune.
Here's the areas:

• leaks in system; air in system
  • correct shroud (fan 1/2 in/1/2 out unless 'flex', that = 3/4 in)
  • coolant - mix%, additives, age, cleanliness;
  • water pump - operation, condition; cavitation;
  • heater core - leaks, condition, it’s fan on/off during servicing;
  • block - water passages;
  • hoses - collapse, leaks;
  • thermostat - condition, temp rating;
  • radiator (sz, # rows, clean?, construction, materials - I like ol style copper)
  • radiator cap - pressure rating, condition, design;
  • fan (blades, design, clutch)
  • flush system last yr. or 2?
  • do not run over lean as I think U said U were earlier

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just put a mechanical temp gauge on it, jez, why make it hard?
Ain't no O or R or high/low end of NORMAL.
195-215* all 's good, stick it at the bottom of the dash, you might have to move your head a little to see it but a quick glance and there are no doubt or put it in a pillar pod like a race car.

If you haven’t put a mechanical gauge on it just to test the actual temp or even a good temp gun , going on about what the stock gauge is doing is sort of useless .

• Agree
here you go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190316-184215.png
    Screenshot_20190316-184215.png
    487 KB · Views: 67
  • Love
FYI, I just ran my engine.

Edelbrock high flow pump, stock pullies, 20 year old 3-core brass radiator , motorcraft 192 tstat, fresh coolant.

Runs about 195-198 degrees. Stock guage shows about the R on normal.

Before I ran a 180 tstat and the stock gauge would show down around the A. It ran about 185-188 degrees on my autometer gauge.

I’m using this to verify my actual temp. So degree difference in engine temp resulting in a decent amount of needle sweep on the dash guage. I bet if I let it creep up to 205-210 it would be right near the top. I’m happy with it around 200ish. Also, like I said the stock guage just isn’t accurate at all.

E369C524-7AA9-48D9-91B0-EF82E2E935BB.jpeg
sorry old post where did u get the distributor hold down that looks so much better then my stock one