new with custom suspension

5280/4

May 21, 2009
Im new to the site, i have a 65 falcon transam theme. I custom built my own suspension. here are some pics

Attachments

• 4-26-09 018.jpg
    4-26-09 018.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 636
  • Falcon_mustang_wheel.jpg
    Falcon_mustang_wheel.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 501
  • Sponsors (?)

289 with edelbrock perfomer RPM heads, cusotm cam, victor JR, 650 speed demon, full length headers. makes aroun 375hp at the crank. C4 with reverse manual valve body, kevlar bands, red alto steels and 6 gear planetary. The rear is stock 8" with 270 gears. i am designing my rear 3link right now. also working on my own rack and pinion.

289 with edelbrock perfomer RPM heads, cusotm cam, victor JR, 650 speed demon, full length headers. makes aroun 375hp at the crank. C4 with reverse manual valve body, kevlar bands, red alto steels and 6 gear planetary. The rear is stock 8" with 270 gears. i am designing my rear 3link right now. also working on my own rack and pinion.

love those year, but eh.. you have 2.70 gears?? up those suckers!!! i have 2.80 and the only reason my car moves is because it's got a crazy torquey beast. unless of course you <3 the mileage esp with 6 gears.

yes, i am running a sway bar. I will get some new pics up. If you look at the bracket just to the inside of the coilover mount that will be the rodend attachment for the sway bar.

2.70 gears suck i know. Once i buy my moser fabricated 9" and build my 3link, i will have my 4.11 with a detroit locker. and then i also have a 486 spool for the strip. it will be interesting once i get those gears in it. Cuz right now its a hi reving 289. around 350 torque but pulls through 6400 rpm.

The ball joint holders are afco and allstar products. the swedged steel tubes are from speedway motors. The shocks are afco. The tabs are from my local hardware store. i built it all myself. the uppers are close to something you can buy, but not perfect. so i made them myself for under half the price. And better components. Low friction ball joints and teflon lined chromoly ball joint.

can you help people like us build this suspension? It would be an awesome boost for the mustang community if we can build our own components and take this to the next level. Do you have a parts list or any drawings for parts that need machining or fab?

I'm interested in this also. I just can't afford the 2k + kits that are on the market, but a buddy and I don't mind doing some fab work and using some brains and elbow grease to get the job done ourselves.

I have about 6 months of design time and about 5 weeks of fabrication. obviously working around my work schedule.

I dont really want to give away all my design ideas. i would answer any questions. Maybe if someone is interested in buying my plans i can put together a book with the parts list, illustrations, drawings, pictures, fasteners and pictures.

i totally understand that.

i have an accelerometer in my car and i can tell you what my specific car can do with my set up and tires. but i think better numbers may be the suspension characteristics. Like roll center, camber gain curve, caster gain curve and scrub radius and others. also maybe the adjustability of all these components. any after market company should be able to provide you with these numbers and that may give a good comparison?

What kind of numbers would you like to see.

i designed my suspension to be completly adjustable, so i could do all three, street, autox and drag.

ask any questions you may have.

just so people dont get the wrong idea. I built this for myself and dont own a shop or any suspension company. I built it cuz i didnt want to spend 2500-3000 for a similar setup. I also felt i could design a system that was better engineered for my car than anything off the shelf.

love those year, but eh.. you have 2.70 gears?? up those suckers!!! i have 2.80 and the only reason my car moves is because it's got a crazy torquey beast. unless of course you <3 the mileage esp with 6 gears.

i just re-read ur post. My C4 has a six gear planetary or sun gear. not that it has 6 forward gears. the planetary gear is one of the weakest parts in the C4. the stock is a 3gear planetary and is prone to breaking.

You know, I don't think it is unreasonable for him to ask a little for his IP. After all, what he has done here is impressive and he should be compensated for his expertise.

However, for the purposes of liability, maybe all funds should be 'donated' to him. Plans to be used at our own risk.

Furthermore, it looks like there are now at least three of us interested. If we could get that number up to 15 or so, and 'donate' $50 apiece, perhaps he would be interested.

Just a few thoughts, chime in with your individual interests...

You know, I don't think it is unreasonable for him to ask a little for his IP. After all, what he has done here is impressive and he should be compensated for his expertise.

However, for the purposes of liability, maybe all funds should be 'donated' to him. Plans to be used at our own risk.

Furthermore, it looks like there are now at least three of us interested. If we could get that number up to 15 or so, and 'donate' $50 apiece, perhaps he would be interested.

I'd be interested....

thanks for the intrest everyone.

I will start working on getting some hard data. i need to compile all the stuff i have and make it look presentable. also i will do a lateral g test. but it will be mainly testing the tires.

Let me know if there is any data you would like to see.

I'm in!

I was thinking of working up a solid works model of this kind of setup so some FEA could be run on it. I supposed a complete design could be provided so a fabricator could just buy the parts from the BOM and build it. I think as soon as you started selling plans they would be duplicated.

I was thinking of working up a solid works model of this kind of setup so some FEA could be run on it. I supposed a complete design could be provided so a fabricator could just buy the parts from the BOM and build it. I think as soon as you started selling plans they would be duplicated.

I agree, this is why I am trying to get as many individuals as possible to buy at once. At least then he'll get some level of return on his time investment.

Honestly, the IP game is a b***h, patents cost a fortune and can be "worked around," copyright is, in this case, useless, and going into production would be financially suicidal due to competition.

Think of the nightmares companies like Micron, Hynix, and Samsung go through. They compete viciously in the DRAM market. When it comes to chip design, they don't patent anymore. Instead they design the chip so it self destructs if anyone tries to reverse engineer it. That, is the state of the world we live in!

I'm not sure 5280/4 is really looking to make a pile here, more just trying to share his pride in his skills and creation. Personally, I'd like to see him get something for his efforts and recieve a little help in improving my ride in the mean time.

Anyway, obviously, I'm in. So, that makes three! Any other takers?

Don