Newb Build Direction Need Advice.

gtimms

Jul 21, 2012
South Jersey
Picked up an 88 5.0 vert AOD, doing paint and body right now be will be tackleing the motor when I'm done. Motor has 120K runs good has some crappy CAI, BBK shorty headers, H pipe, 2.5 Flomaster, 3.73 gear & 1.5 inch drop. I plan to delete the smog pump, whats really next on a budget? Throttle body? or is it really considering heads? I dont really have the $$ for that right now. If I decide on the heads do I need to do rails/ injectors with my current set up?? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

No point in swapping any parts out until you can replace the entire top end. If it runs good enjoy it stock until you can afford a head, cam, and intake upgrade.

Reactions: 1 user
If you feel like you just want to do 'something', do an Explorer GT 40 intake.
Dirt cheap mod, good intake, and can grow with other parts in the future until you ever want to do an aftermarket intake.

Thank you for the input and the direction . As the thread says I'm new to the 5.0. I read, and I may have read it wrong I can't run my headers with the GT 40 head or was it the GT 40P? Maybe I' m wrong on this all together??? Why I'm on topic underdrives???? worth the time and the $90 bucks? Thanks!!!!!

Under drives are not worth the time or money unless you can get them for practically nothing. Gt40 heads will take stock headers. Its the p heads that need special clearance.

As stated before a good upgrade from the stock, Find an 96 1/2 or older explorer in a junkyard. Snag the intake and the heads, all your stuff will work with them just bolt it on and enjoy the extra 25+ hp. More with a cam.
The heads may need some work figure 200 bucks.