Newbie-ish question

Warweasel

Apr 19, 2010
Texas
Hi, I have a question, have trolled through the posts, but I'm looking for a concise "guide", I guess. I'm not new to 5.0s, this is my third, but it's the first time that I'm planning on getting into the engine by myself. Not a mechanic, but fairly mechanically adept. The car in question is a 92 LX convertible, AOD (I know, mostly my wife's car). I have cold air intake, 70mm mass air meter, and that's about it for under the hood. I bought a chinese Cobra intake (yeah, yeah...I hadn't read enough yet), called Ford and they're sending the new baffle for the lower. The intake is new and has all the bolts, etc. What I'm looking to find out is what else I need. I know that I need a bigger throttle body. I don't understand what holes I'm looking for to be tapped or what on the intakes...what do I need to look for or do? I still have some time, I'm in Iraq and won't be able to get to it right away. I'm not changing the heads at the same time, unless I can find a good deal somewhere. Do I need to port? How do I go about finding someone to port intakes?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Don't waste your time doing it yourself. Look up board member TMoss and have him do the porting. He's the master at porting Ford intakes. A 65mm throttle body would be appropriate for what you're doing. Since you're using a Cobra intake and not an Explorer, there's nothing you have to worry about as far as tapping holes and such. Install the baffle plate, install the intake and you will be good to go.