Newbie looking to identify or confirm a 93 Cobra Engine?

Waughoo

May 2, 2020
Florida
Hi all,
I have a 1955 Ford F100 Resto-mod that I am trying to identify the engine that is in it. The block is a 91 casting (F1SE - 2H3) made august 2 of 1993. The heads are 1993 GT Ford cast heads. GT cast inside and outside with 1993 date. I think these heads were only in 1993 Cobras? But there are not roller rockers in heads but fulcrum rockers, and this stumps me? The seller said it was a crate motor but these casting numbers on the block and heads have me guessing? The engine is not fuel injected, The heads, block, AOD, transmission are all 1993. I am wondering if when the builder did this frame off restoration with the engine and transmission from a 93 Cobra and installed an Endelbrock Intake, Carb etc.?

Is there another place on the block that would identify the car it was installed in or verify it was a 93 Cobra Engine originally? This one has me stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Engine from passenger side.jpg
    Engine from passenger side.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 308
  • Truck R-side.JPG
    Truck R-side.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Sponsors (?)

That's a fine look'n truck!!
Did you see E7 on the head?

No, it has the GT40 castings in the valve train valley and on the front corner outside the valve cover and the 3 ribs on the back of the heads. That tells me they are GT40's and not the GT40P's that went into some Explorers. The inside casting reflects the 1993 date and GT. Maybe I just have an engine with the GT heads? The block castings over the starter just told me it was made August 2nd. 1993.

I thought all along that I had roller heads until I took the COBRA valve cover off and saw FULCRUM ROCKERS.
I took the valve cover off to adjust a tick that I thought was due to rollers needing adjusted. To my surprise there were no roller rockers as the previous owner had told me.

Thanks for the compliment and the help.

Last edited:
A pic of the rockers would help. The best way to tell a cobra engine is the camshaft. It was specific to the cobra. The rockers should be Crane Cams 1.7 roller rockers with ford part number.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the help guys. It is does not have rollers, that is what started me asking and trying to figure out what it is. The Heads and block are definitely 93.
1.6 or 1.7 I don't know since I have put the valve covers back on. But it has regular fulcrum rockers? Only two Ford vehicles received the 1993 Cobra SVT engine from what my research has shown. The Cobra and the Lightning F150. I can not find any Fulcrum Rockers in any OEM 93 SVT engine.
I was told it was a 300hp crate motor by the previous owner. But that was 2nd hand from his seller. No engine build paperwork came with the truck receipts.
It was a frame off restoration and it is hard to see the builder skimping on the engine.
It is a strong little motor.
Best I can tell it is a may have started as a 93 Cobra or Lightning. Why the 93 Cobra heads do not have rollers I do not know. I will have to see if the straight fulcrum rockers are 1.7's. Is it a possibility? I never have heard of stamped 1.7 rockers.
Is there a vehicle specific stamping anywhere on the block, maybe behind the distributor?

Lightning had a 351. Cobra had crane rockers from the factory. Most likely, some one bought iron GT40 heads and slapped the stamped steel rockers from the e7 heads back on.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,
I have a 1955 Ford F100 Resto-mod that I am trying to identify the engine that is in it. The block is a 91 casting (F1SE - 2H3) made august 2 of 1993. The heads are 1993 GT Ford cast heads. GT cast inside and outside with 1993 date. I think these heads were only in 1993 Cobras? But there are not roller rockers in heads but fulcrum rockers, and this stumps me? The seller said it was a crate motor but these casting numbers on the block and heads have me guessing? The engine is not fuel injected, The heads, block, AOD, transmission are all 1993. I am wondering if when the builder did this frame off restoration with the engine and transmission from a 93 Cobra and installed an Endelbrock Intake, Carb etc.?

Is there another place on the block that would identify the car it was installed in or verify it was a 93 Cobra Engine originally? This one has me stumped.

They had a vin on the block, you could take the and compare.. Ford did sell GT40 crates, but they were not 100 percent Cobra for 93

Hi all,

Rear of block at end of lifter valley will have a partial VIN stamped. What is it?

F62EC774-D22D-41B5-BBED-8D83892E2FF8.jpeg

I don't remember the exact details, but back in the day Ford Motorsport had a "Cobra" shortblock and longblocks.
I remember the price of $1200-$1300 but I do not remember whether it had the heads or not.
They could have been just using the cobra name to sell engines.
I also could have sworn you could choose a B or E cam.

Last edited:
I don't remember the exact details, but back in the day Ford Motorsport had a "Cobra" shortblock.
I remember the price of $1200-$1300 but I do not remember whether it had the heads or not.
They could have been just using the cobra name to sell engines.
I also could have sworn you could choose a B or E cam.

They had a bunch. I had a few of those catalogs and there were various levels of 302 "builds" and you could pick any of the letter cams. It went from stock, to a 275HP engine, to a 350HP engine and then a few wild strokers. I believe the mid-level ones ran GT40 iron heads and the good combos had the GT40X heads

If I could go back in time and order a short block from Ford Motorsport I would.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Is there another place on the block that would identify the car it was installed in or verify it was a 93 Cobra Engine originally?

For the heads, both 93 Mustang Cobra and early Explorers ('96- mid '97) used 3 bar F3ZE casting GT40 heads. The Mustang heads had the air injection port on the ends of the heads (larger hole right above the freeze plug), the Explorers did not (just the smaller hole for accessory mounting). Mustang head is left pic, Explorer head I had on the right.

gt40bars.jpg IMG_0303.JPG

I know what the books say. I also know the 3 sets of Explorer 3-bar heads I have pulled from wreckers over the years were all F3ZE castings.

IMG_0307.JPG

Casting number from the Explorer head I showed above.

The books don't get everything right.

They had a bunch. I had a few of those catalogs and there were various levels of 302 "builds" and you could pick any of the letter cams. It went from stock, to a 275HP engine, to a 350HP engine and then a few wild strokers. I believe the mid-level ones ran GT40 iron heads and the good combos had the GT40X heads

If I could go back in time and order a short block from Ford Motorsport I would.
I think I still have one or two of those catalogs in the closet, wish I could go back in time and order several things.