(Newbie Question) 84 GT good project car???

ODDJoB

Feb 8, 2004
Hello everyone im new to the forums and i would like to say hello first of all. Ive been a life long mustang fan but was unable to get one for insurance reasons. For that reason i got involved in the import scene but now i feel its time to cross over. I have an oppurtunity to purchase a clean 84 gt 5spd for 400 bucks from a friend and build it as a project car. I was just curious if this is a good platform to start from. Any insight will be appreciated if i see good thinks ill pick her up tommorow.

Thanks,

Jon :D

• Sponsors (?)

Is it a GT350? They dont have the HP ratings as some of the newer ones. I think its a 5-liter four barrel carb cause it has a 5 speed. It depends what kind of car are you looking to build? You cant really go bad for 400 bucks if the body and interior is in good shape.

If it is clean as you say, then hell yeah. 84s did not come with 5 speeds (to my knowledge). I would say the the 84 is a good candidate for a 351 swap and then a 393 or a 408 stroker.

there are downsides and pluses as i own one, there isnt much of a body aftermarket for the 84 year. The tranny isnt a strong t-5, and the rearend is a 7.5, but for 400 you cant beat it. Mine is slowly getting everything replaced so it will be ok so go for it dude

yea exactly thanks for the comments fellas im really just looking for a good street car that will get me into the mid to low 13's. Any ideas on what route i should go performance wise build the motor or swap it out???

i have an 84 myself....if it's a 5.0 you'll want a better set of heads,intake,carb and a whole slew of other stuff......if it is a 4cyl...i would go with a 351....upgrade the rear to an 8.8 from a later model...the stock t5 isn't strong enough to handle a modified powerplant so either upgrade it to a stronger 5speed or go with a c4....don't get me wrong i love my four-eyed stang and have owned more than one but they do involve alot modifying....and keep in mind the brakes aren't all that great for a stock car so put some money into them as well.....any questions you have feel free to post them or pm me, i'll be glad to help any way i can.

It is a good project car and you are starting out cheap so that is good. If you just want a daily driver plus a drag car it will be grear but just know that it is going to take a lot of work and or money to get it modern and fast and handle!!

:nice: another thumbs up for the four eyes. I have an '86 project myself. I had an '84 GT a long time ago and it was a 4-speed. I say go for if the body is in decent shape. Like everyone else said though, you will want to swap out the weak 7.5 rear for a later model and possibly upgrade the brakes. The engine will respond to the same mods ans any other 5.0, heads, exhaust, intake & carb, cam. Its not a roller cam motor though so if you dont want to stick to the flat tappet cam you could either convert it or swap in a later model 5.0 that already has the roller cam and better heads. Or like someone else said, it would be a good car to swap in a 351.

Dude hell yes I had one and what I did was take a block from a 92 and just put a carb and manifold no computer and HolyTaco That sh1t ran like a raped ape ....well until i sold it to some kid that put nitrous in it and it went up in flames. Beside 400 you could turn around and sell it later for much more.....Ever thought of Mustangs and fast ford trader?

yea im really getting excited about the whole process...its going to need a new clutch and a driver seat...thats really about it...I have about 1500 bucks to start off the project and im not really sure where to start. so basically the common census is the 4 barel v8 has no hope to get me into the mid to low 13's and should go right away right???

again sorry for all the newbie questions.hahaha

ODDJoB said:
so basically the common census is the 4 barel v8 has no hope to get me into the mid to low 13's and should go right away right???
In its stock form it would probably be a little tricky. But with the usual bolt ons you can make it happen. As long as the bottom end is in good shape you can do the same stuff to it as to any other 5.0. Personally I would get a better rear with decent gears (maybe a TC rear with disc brakes to kill 2 birds with one stone), then exhaust, then I would change out the heads, cam, intake and carb. Im not sure what pistons are in the earlier motor but if the later model heads will fit you might look into a pair of Thumper heads. The price is good and 13's should be well within their potential.

ODDJoB said:
basically the common census is the 4 barel v8 has no hope to get me into the mid to low 13's and should go right away right???

Partially. Like it is, no. But with some good heads or ported heads, a good carb and intake with a cam, you should be good to go.

If money is tight, some ported e7's, a 600 cfm carb, weinand intake and a nice lunati or comp flat camshaft will do wonders for the car (when the gears and cam are matched).

Other options include a j/y turbo setup, nitrous, blower, whatever. All of these modes will help even the weakest of performing engines.

Figure out the route you want to go. Then get a jegs, and summit catalog as well as a 50 resto. Add up all your parts, the addons and then double it.

To start, I agree with the others. A turbocoupe rear with 3.55 or 3.73 is a good way to go. Get gears and a decent 8.8 rear in one shot with the swap. You can be done in about 4 hours or less as well. No need to have the new ride sit in the garage for any length of time.