Newbie question..Cobra/Shelby or GT w/mods?

Douge

Nov 12, 2007
Hi guys. I am considering buying some kind of Mustang Convertible and wondered if you could get a Shelby or Cobra at list or opt for a GT and mod it, which direction you would go? This is not a money is no object thing, but I could def. step up to the Cobra or Shelby if that is what I wanted.

I really like the specialty cars but wonder if I wouldn't be as happy with a reg. GT and just mod it as I saw fit. My only hang up and its a big one, no pun intended, is the massive weight of the Shelby cars. :eek: I still don't get that, oh well.

Thanks for your opinions. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt that you can get a GT 500 at list.
A Shelby GT you might be able to get at list or, if you are really lucky, maybe even a little less. The shelby GT convertible is probably really hot right now, though winter is coming, so it might be hard to come by for sticker.
Buy what you can afford and like.

If the Cobra is entering your mind, I'd say go for that. It is a very powerful car in raw form. With a little tweaking here and there it is a modern day pavement pounder! No matter if they weigh nearly 2 tons. I'm sure a F/I GT could hang with an all original Shelby from the late '60s to a certain point. It's just awesome(IMO)to own a big(ger) CI blown Stang. Just do yourself a favor and have the stripes painted on:nice:
Good luck in whatever you decide:nice:

I guess by Cobra you mean GT500? It all depends on what you are really looking for. If you are looking for a drag strip machine, you'd need to mod the GT500 a bit anyway since they have a difficult time putting the power to the ground for the launch (like all the S197s).

If you want a all purpose vehicle, get the GT500. Be prepared to pay for it though.

The GT500 carries 470 excess pounds and therefore handles worse than a GT. That's the deciding factor for me and why I have a supercharged GT. The GT can apparently handle 450rwhp without worrying about the internals so unless you're going to modify the car for vast amounts of power, the GT500 makes no sense unless it's for looks (but I prefer the GT...).

I think on production numbers, we're way past the GT500 ever being a collector's car.

Slightly :OT: but if I had the money, I'd love to have one of the new Roush P51A Stangs. Only 100 going to be built, the 510 HP figure is on the conservative side they say and pays tribute to another great :flag: icon which played a huge role in world history:nice:

Hey guys. I went out and visited 4 stores this morning and was completely turned off of the car. I like it a lot and think the convertible (Shelby GT500) would fit my wants for the car really well but you guys have to be out of your minds to pay anything over sticker for this car.

I am not hating, I really do like the car, but its not any kind of a bargain performance car. I think its a good deal at sticker (not even great) but paying a premium. Thats just funny. As mentioned above, they are not a collector or even limited, they are for sale everywhere, all five of the dealers I went to yesterday and today had at least one.

Wasn't meant to be this time around. Still very cool car and sure I would love to have one, but apparently other people want them more than I do.

What are they asking over sticker for the Shelby GT convertible? I'm just curious as to how insane the prices are. I also wonder what the insane dealer markups will be on the Bullitt coming in January.
By the way, the Cobra name, to my knowledge, is not used to describe the GT500. Why are people calling it that? Just habit from the past?
I also wonder why some dealers, at least in my area, call the V6 Mustang an LX. Ford, again to my knowledge, has not used the LX designation publicly on a Mustang in many years.

Around here you can get a shelby GT for 36 to 37 grand at sticker. Mike Bass ford had 10 of them in stock. As anyone driven the shelby GT 500, I have and it handles verywell extra weight or not. It will corner better than a stock GT, it's worth sticker. Anything above sticker and your just paying for the shelby name.

I think that one was 15K? It was cool, all white, no stripes. It has the Cobra emblem on the grille and front fenders and also has shelby on the decklid. The sticker says Shelby as well.

Sorry guys, I seem to have my Shelby lexicon mixed up. All of the cars I looked at were GT500's coupes and convertibles, I saw 6 total, 2 verts and 4 coupes.

I saw the GT coupes but no convertibles.

Around here you can get a shelby GT for 36 to 37 grand at sticker. Mike bass ford had 10 of them in stock. As anyone driven the shelby GT 500, I have and it handles verywell extra weight or not. It will corner better than a stock GT, it's worth sticker. Anything above sticker and your just paying for the shelby name.

That's a lot of Shelby GT's

Where is Mike Bass located?

Also, I agree, I have put a few hundred miles on my Dad's Cobra and it will certainly outperform a stock GT in every category. I guess the only thing a stock GT wins in is balance...the Cobra will get away from you if you sleep on it. :nice:

God Bless,