Newbie Turbo Questions

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
Looked at my 86 Turbo Coupe tonight. Couple of questions.

Where are the turbo oil lines supposed to run to and from. I could not find them, and I don't have a manual yet.

Will this thing start and run even if the turbo is toast?

The plan is to find all the stuff I can that needs fixing, fix it, put in a battery, and see what happens. Hope the computer is good and I can scan it.

Rad is dry, so this may be a tired bird, but regardless, I hope to at least figure out how to make it work.

• Sponsors (?)

on top of the turbo runs behind the block to a junction to the oil pressure sensor and the head. the lower return goes from the bottom of the turbo to a boss drilled into the block above the oil pan. the cooler hoses if that turbo has them runs horizontal to the engine. if you find them DO NOT JUST FIRE IT UP! i can not stress that enough. unplug the lead coil wire and crank the engine for a little bit before you start it. if you do not follow this and the turbo has no oil it will fry.. change the oil and filter first to make sure...

shaft play:
mark the turbo housing with a greese pen, take the housing off (not sure what the torque specs are for install) check the turbo for shaft for play up and down, in and out.

fill the rad with coolant and see if it leaks, possible that prev. owner drained the coolant to prevent rust....

Thanks. There are some other suspicious items in there, but the turbo itself was one I'm not familiar with.

I doubt they drained the radiator, this thing was most likely left for dead, but most of the sensors, air cleaner housing, wiring, etc seems still there.

The seller said he had not had it running, but it would turn over. It's missing the master cylinder, so he thought the brakes were the item that finally caused them to quit driving it. He got it with putting the motor into a Ranger, but he's GM guy and said he lost interest. He had a mudrunner Suburban, a couple Trans Ams, and a Silverado shortbed around the house and in his shop.

The clutch works, because I was able to slow it down while rolling by letting the clutch out a couple times.