Newbie with a 2001 Cobra question...

Booya

Jul 10, 2004
San Diego County
Hey all - This is my 1st thread here, and I just bought a 2001 Cobra. Looking forward to reading these forums... This stang is my 4th. I've had a 93 GLX convertible, an '87 GT, a '99 GT convertible, and now a 2001 Cobra.

This Cobra I just bought was from a used car dealership and the guy didn't know much about it other than it had H&R springs, Bilstien shocks, and a Tri-ax shifter. It also has a densecharger cold air kit...

My question is, I think the gears have been changed but I have no way of knowing for sure. My speeds at RPMs are:

70mph = 2600rpm
80mph = 2900rpm

Could you guys compare your rpm at these speeds to help me figure out what gears I've got? Thanks.

Chris M
San Diego County, CA

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely NOT stock. Mine are 3.27's and I'm turning right around 2 grand @ 70. Maybe 4.10's as that's a pretty common package?? Maybe someone with replacement greats can chime in.

It's a sweet car, eh?? My formee ride was a '92 LX 5.0 and this is just a much superior all-around car.

It could be 3.73's or 4.10's. I can't find the link, but theres a site that lets you put in your wheel size, speed, and RPM and it gives you your gear ratio.

Welcome btw :)

MystiChrome Coupe said:
Yup, that's what I remember my '01 with 4.10's turning. Check to see if you have a speedcal or a chip for correction the speedo.

Where do I look for this?... I was thinking that they might be 4.10s also. First gear doesn't even get me across an intersection from a stop light... Thanks for all the replies.

If you check the web there are gear ratio calculators. I think the last one i saw i searched (rear wheel to flywheel horsepower calculator) on msn and one site had a gear ratio calculator on it.

I happened to check my rpm's @70 on the highway today just by chance - 2K @ 70 w/3.27's - That means your readings indicate closer to 4.30's, but at least 4.10's. Based on how short you say first gear is, my guess is that you've got 4.30's in there.

I just measured my speed/RPMs in every gear and checked them with the online calculator. For 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear, the calculator says 4.10s almost to the number, but according to my 5th gear speed, the gear is past 4.30. Don't know what's up with that... Maybe my speedo or tach is off? Here are the speeds I observed. The first column is the gear and the 2nd and 3rd columns are my speeds at 2000 and 3000 RPMs:

GEAR .. 2000RPM .. 3000RPM
1st .. crawling... .. still crawling...
2nd .. 20MPH .. 29MPH
3rd .. 29MPH .. 42MPH
4th .. 38MPH .. 55MPH
5th .. 55MPH .. 82MPH

I really can't believe that you wouldn't want to PROVE to YOURSELF what freakin gears you have!! All this wasted bandwidth by you geniuses and NO ONE seems to know how to count it MANUALLY with NO error! :shrug:

How can you possibly live with THINKING you have 4:10s but not really knowing for sure...nuts I'm tellin' ya'...nuts! :nonono: