newbie with supercharger question

mxracer357

Apr 2, 2006
Denver, CO
I've been looking at adding a supercharger onto my 03 GT but I was wondering what the difference was between a Vortech intake style supercharger and a KB pully style supercharger? I know that the pully wheel can be changed out to change the boost level but other than that, is one style better than the other?

• Sponsors (?)

it depends on what you want. but for the most part, a KB is better for street cars because it builds boost much lower in the RPM range. not that the Vortechs are bad. the just don't give you the low end grunt of a KB.

badda boom, badda bing...

Just wanted to add that with the higher price of a KB you are also getting extras like the built on aluminum manifold and other parts like CAI, MAF, BAP and injectors. More depending on what package you buy.

Nice package.

Ohhh no. Not this trap again. ;) Without getting into a pissing match about which is the better blower. I'm just gonna say that each unit has it's high and low points. Either blower is a great choice. It's merely going to come down to where you want to feel the power, how much you're willing to spend and how competent you are with a wrench.

If you want some solid advice, stick around the board a while and see what some of the owners of each kit has to say about them.

if ur gonna be doing street light racing....go kb all the way.........i'd get kb no matter what...but thats my opinion...but if high horsepower is what ur going after that get a vortech....IT ALL COMES DOWN TO WHAT IT IS SPECIFICALLY UR GONNA BE DOING WITH THE CAR....

i'm running a paxton novi 2000 (centri just like the vortech) my buddy has a KB 1.7 on his car. the only thing i dont like about his is if you kick it at 70 mph it will blow the tires off. his car has stock gears and everything. the only mod is the blower and the supporting items. my car has a lot better street manners and is much more predictable when driving. he does have 75 rwhp more than me though.

/vote KB, that's the way i'm goin. Nothing else to add other than...

mxracer357 said:
I've been looking at adding a supercharger onto my 03 GT but I was wondering what the difference was between a Vortech intake style supercharger and a KB pully style supercharger? I know that the pully wheel can be changed out to change the boost level but other than that, is one style better than the other?

the correct terminology is "centrifugal" for the Vortech, and "positive displacement" or "twin screw" for the KB.

They both have intakes, and pulleys that change the boost ;)

I was leaning more toward the twin screw but was still undecided between a KB or Eaton. I'm trying to get something around the high 400 to low 500 in hp and still keep it street legal. I was already planning on upgrading several items to forged parts, aluminum heads, upgrading fuel pump and alternater, 6 speed tranny, drive train, changing the rear end gears and other parts. Does anyone know will this amount of hp stay within the emmissions standards for CO? Just wanted to get the opinions

mxracer357 said:
I was leaning more toward the twin screw but was still undecided between a KB or Eaton. I'm trying to get something around the high 400 to low 500 in hp and still keep it street legal. I was already planning on upgrading several items to forged parts, aluminum heads, upgrading fuel pump and alternater, 6 speed tranny, drive train, changing the rear end gears and other parts. Does anyone know will this amount of hp stay within the emmissions standards for CO? Just wanted to get the opinions

Eaton makes a roots-style blower, as opposed to the twin-screw. Really unpopular in the world of modified mustangs.

Yeah, if you make all the proper upgrades to the internals, a KB will put out the power you're looking for, with the right pulley.

As far as emission standards in Colorado, I have no idea. KB claims all their kits are 50 state legal or are pending certification, and they ask that you call and verify with them first on any part that isn't marked as 50 state legal.

First off, although both the Eaton and the Kenne Bell are considered “Positive Displacement” superchargers, only the Kenne Bell is considered a true Twin Screw, where the Eaton has been dubbed a “Roots” style blower. Twin Screws compress the air directly within the case itself, where Roots blowers “paddle” the air from the inlet end to the outlet and compression takes place within the manifold. Both do what they do well and both make great power within their designed parameters, but are still very different.

If beyond 400rwhp is your goal, then you're better off with the Twin Screw (Kenne Bell, Whipple) over the Eaton. There are only two companies that build Eaton based kits for the 4.6L SOHC and that's Allen and Ford Racing. The Allen uses an intercooled version of an S-ported M90 in all of their base kits and Ford Racing uses a non-intercooled M112 with integrated manifold. Bothe kits in base trim will easily put you into the 300-350rwhp range with a PI based 4.6L engine and the Allen will run head to head with the smaller twin screws right up to about 400rwhp with their 9psi GEN V kit. Beyond that, you've pretty much seen the limits of the smaller Eaton blower and you're going to either need to go with some sort of custom set up, or look into one of the Twin Screw compressors noted above.

That being said, forged parts are always a good idea. Your heads are already aluminum, so replacing them isn’t necessary. Having them ported by one of the more reputable companies (VT, Fox Lake, Patriot Performance, etc) would be your best bet. The fuel system upgrades are also a necessity at that power level, but there’s no need to replace your stock alternator. Although now would be a nice time for ignition system upgrades.

Have fun spending money. ;)

You better be ready to put more money into ur engine because...the stock 2v motor can only handle about 400 hp...soo if 400+ hp is your goal it would be cheaper to get a vortech with 4.10's and strengthen ur motor...or spend the extra money on getting the more expenisive KB and strengthening ur internals...cuz i still say KB ALL THE WAY!!

My only other concern about this whole process is getting the engine tuned correctly. I'm handy enough with a wrentch to do most of the mods myself with no problem but are there any suggestions on a good tuning shop that is in Colorado? I'm still pretty new to the area so I haven't had a chance to go around and investigate yet.

mxracer357 said:
My only other concern about this whole process is getting the engine tuned correctly. I'm handy enough with a wrentch to do most of the mods myself with no problem but are there any suggestions on a good tuning shop that is in Colorado? I'm still pretty new to the area so I haven't had a chance to go around and investigate yet.

Colorado Stangs main shop just shut down. I'm still looking for the next best up in Denver for this Spring. Come join us locally at ColoradoStangs.com

:SNSign:

i'm at 375HP and 385TQ i have a LOT done to my car.
he has 445HP and 465TQ all he has is the 1.7 kit with the big tube intake.

and no, my blower is FAR from its full potential. i have about 19 PSI left to go :D
he has only 5 PSI left.
give me about 6 months and you will see some real power!