Newby - '99 power steering pulley question

densan99

Jun 23, 2009
Hi, bought a '99 V6 for my daughter's Grad, finishing up on getting things mechanically in order. Power steering pump was shot ("burnt coffee" for fluid & LOUD...)
Replaced with Cardone unit, now quieter but still noticable, esp. when turning.
Did about three variations on bleeding, still no luck. Came across this service bulletin from Cardone www.cardone.com/english/club/products/steering/protech/tech_bulletins/PT 20-0006.pdf
-Which has to do with alignment/fit of pulley. Any suggestions regarding degree of press fit, other than visual alignment or as mentioned in the Cardone TSB?
Thanks! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I believe that the pulley is correctly aligned when the face is flush with the end of the shaft, but I could be wrong. Just make sure the shop presses the pulley on properly! I've heard of some auto parts stores taking it in the back room and using the ol' hammer.

As for the noise, it's a common complaint with Mustang power steering pumps. There are a number of ways people have found to cope with it- mine was to install an underdrive pulley. It doesn't eliminate the whine, but it dramatically reduces it, and that was almost a better result than the increase in horsepower!